Pay Rate Advice for OSHC

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Vanille

Pay Rate Advice for OSHC

Post by Vanille » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:05 pm

Hi all!

I'm looking for some advice in regards to my payrate and whether I should negotiate a higher payrate or not.

I currently work at an OSHC (Outside School Hours Care) service and I am 2 university topics off being considered a qualified staff member on a 4.1 level- I am currently considered unqualified. I have been working here for over 2 years now and I am studying a Bachelor of Primary Education/Bachelor of Arts where the topics I am missing are for my major. My OSHC Director has had discussions to try and get me considered qualified so I can become the Assistant Director, however she had been unsuccessful. Currently, I am assisting my director with some responsibilities of an Assistant Director as we currently do not have one and are struggling to bring one in. I have been doing this for 3 months now and we currently still do not have someone lined up to step in as Assistant Director, as our current Assistant Director is out on maternity leave until October.

The roles I am currently doing include:
  • Reciepting and chasing up account finances (debt collection)
  • Creating and directing the implementation of a weekly program for staff with the previous reflection, educator goals, and the MTOP connections these programs meet. I also complete weekly reflections on the implementation of these programs to improve future programs and to provide appropriate feedback to staff when necessary.
  • General management of staff on shift, particularly when the Director is not in service and I am in. Making sure staff are fulfilling duties
  • Training new qualified and unqualified staff
  • Reflecting on and evaluating staff-child Seesaw + program reflections and providing feedback to staff members
  • Managing parent communications via in-person, phone, and email inquiries + assisting them with the majority of their inquiries (Staff typically direct parents to me or my Director for things beyond bookings)
  • Working in accordance with the service policies and ensuring service policies are upheld
  • Providing guidance and advice for staff members when requested (E.g. Providing guidance on how educational practice could be improved if a staff member asks for feedback)
In short, I complete the majority of the responsibilities of the qualified staff when I am on shift with some admin thrown in. I am currently being paid $28.86 on a 3.1 level, however I feel I may be deserving of more pay for the responsibilities I juggle, especially as the majority of the service regards me as the next step down from our Director (including Qualified staff). One of the qualified staff members at my service feels I should be on a 5A.1, but I'm truly unsure where I would fall and what pay I should have with the responsibilities I have. Some general insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!

Lorina

Re: Pay Rate Advice for OSHC

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:32 pm

As per your responsibilities and the jobs you are doing you should be paid at Level 5. There is a Level 5A pay rate level which is for Educators that are not qualified for that position yet do the tasks and have the same responsibilities as an Educator at that level who is qualified.

This will help: Levels For Childcare Wages

Take a look at level 5 so you can see the tasks and responsibilities.

You are doing so much more than an Educator on Level 3.1 so you should be paid more.

:geek:,
Lorina