Part time pay, Casual hours - is it normal or am i being exploited

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
grtz

Part time pay, Casual hours - is it normal or am i being exploited

Post by grtz » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:41 pm

I am here after some clarifications plz

I was working as a casual with an agency and was getting $27.75 per hour.
I received very good feedback from the centres and was getting good hours of shifts.
as i was planning to do my diploma, i started looking for permanent job. i went to this centre after seeing ad, attended an interview which lasted for 45 minutes. Director who is also the owner of this family owned centre was very happy with me. i was told that it is full time position. i was asked for a paid trial for a week. at the end of the week i was told that i was the one they were looking for and said they are very much happy to on me on board. next week i worked all the 37.5 hours.

yesterday i got roaster for my next week and in that i am in for only 3 days. when i asked about that, they said , i am part time, not full time. they also says they days and hours are not permanent , depends upon the numbers .
I asked whether it is due to my performance, they says, they are very happy and got very good feedback from the room leader, but it is due to numbers.

i was paid for the first 2 days of the trial at $22.04 . they said from third day the next pay cycle starts. i didnt get paid till.

my question is - if i am part time,why i was told as full time in the beginning ?
if it is part time, shouldnt i get fixed days or hours per week. ?
if the hours and days are determined according to the number every week , shouldn't i get paid casual rate ?

i am very frusturated and confused .all the 2 weeks i was thinking i am full time and that was my room and i did so much in that room. now i feel depressed and stressed more.

is it legal to pay full time pay and casual hours ?

please give me your valuable comment.

Lorina

Re: Part time pay, Casual hours - is it normal or am i being exploited

Post by Lorina » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:58 pm

Ok first off, I'm not sure why you were told it was for a full-time position then they cut your hours... Do you like the centre? If you have fewer hours do you mind working there or are you looking for more hours?

" if i am part time,why i was told as full time in the beginning"
I'm not sure why they did this...

"if it is part time, shouldnt i get fixed days or hours per week"
Yes as a part-time employee, you do work on average, less than 38 hours per week, however you hours are regular during the week, you are also entitled to the same as full time employees.

if the hours and days are determined according to the number every week , shouldn't i get paid casual rate ?
Yes, when working as a casual you have no guaranteed hours of work, you work irregular hours during the week and you don't get paid sick or annual leave.

I think the reason why you worked full time during the first week is because of your trial. However, overall in your situation, it does sound like you are working as casual since your hours are irregular and it depends on the numbers.

I would ask the owner if you are going to be put on a contract (a contract states an agreement between you and your employer), also you need to clarify your position...

You make the choice whether you want to continue with the position... Be upfront with the owner. Let them know that you were under the assumption that this was a full-time position and that you were expecting to work more regular hours...

Let me know how it goes!

:geek:,
Lorina

grtz

Post by grtz » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:35 am

Thanks Lorina for your reply. It's really appreciated.
I could smell what went wrong,
the educator in my room went on 2 weeks holiday. Exactly the same week I started my trial. So instead of hiring a casual, they used me by paying $ 22. Now she is back.

There is so much going on in the centre. I am in babies room. I was told that I should not wash my hands in between nappies as I am changing gloves every time. Coz of that it is getting delay for them. I said "no, I cant do that. If u want I will start changing nappies 10 minutes before. But I will wash my hands. I took it to owner level. They also said I am washing my hands for my own hygiene. But it is not necessary.
I got panic attack when I saw another educator changing nappies to 10 babies without changing gloves at all.
There is no antibacterial soap anywhere in that room. Many more to add.
So may be they would have that I am not their cuppa tea 😀
I will talk with the director today and see what happens
Thanks again.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:50 pm

You have to wash your hands!! For yourself and for the health of each individual baby you are changing! To stop the spread of infections and to maintain hygiene.

Listen being honest here, it doesn't sound like this is the right place for you. You are already noticing so many problems and issues. Do you really want to work in a service like that? You shouldn't have to take each issue to the Director because Educators are doing the wrong thing! maybe think about if you really want to continue working there...

Lorina

grtz

Post by grtz » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:40 am

To be honest, I really don't like this place. I am stressed out every day. started thinking that I am not learning anything new, at the same time losing what I already know. they are not following any of EYLF Principles. they expect me to be a baby sitter than to be an educator.
but i don't have proper work reference other than my lecturer. everybody need work supervisor reference. so i thought atleast for reference, i should stick on in this centre atleast for 3 months. but really i feel i am done. so i am confused and worried now.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:58 pm

When you're starting out it's understandable that you won't have any work reference. What about your agency, where you were doing casual work? Can they assist you in getting more permanent work? If this service isn't right, there is no point continuing even for 3 months. Even after 3 months and you leave its no guarantee they will give you a work reference. You're going to go to work miserable and hating it rather than enjoying what you're passionate about... I just don't think this is a right fit for you so just move on...

Lorina

grtz

Post by grtz » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:41 am

Thanks Lorina, Yes that's true that I cant continue there for even 3 months. I will call my agency today and let them know that I am back again. there is no point of continuing in place where there is no passion for children.

I am feeling much better and know clearly what to do next.
thanks a lot again for your guidance Lorina. will update soon how it goes.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi!

Just a follow up to see how you're doing...

I believe you're making the right choice if something doesn't feel then you should go with what you feel!

Did you call the agency to let them know you're back again?

Did you leave the centre?

How did it go?

Lorina

grtz

Post by grtz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:12 pm

Hi Lorina,
Sorry for late reply. Was not feeling well these days.
Yes I left that centre. But I will tell what happened exactly.
I decided that I should quit. So I went to work as per my roaster last week thinking I should talk with the director and come out of the centre with dignity. I thought i should not just call and tell them that I won't be coming hereafter. So I went that day.
Director wasn't there that day. While doing the 3 '0 clock nappies, there was only one pair of gloves. No more gloves box anywhere in the room or in the store room. I told the room leader. The reply I got was " can't u change with one pair?. I was shocked and said " no. ". Then I was lucky enough
to borrow half box from toddlers room.
Next day the director called me and said that the educators and room leader in the room feel I don't have any passion for kids. They are getting irritated and stressed out because of me. So I don't need to come to the centre anymore.
I got an email saying that I was unsuccessful in my probation.
I know all these are wrong. But still I was so shocked and couldn't believe that people can be this much rude and nasty. While I don't have any regrets of leaving the centre, I am still wondering why I got this kind of feedback.
I was keen on learning anything and everything to excel in my work. But I got zero support from my room leader and others. I was doing my best .I know and I can prove that there is so much going on in that centre. While I myself, decided to come out of the centre without making any fuss, I couldn't accept that I was sent out saying I am not good at work.

I started feeling somewhat low. Still taking my time to come out of the stress

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:15 pm

You tried to do the right thing by completing your shifts before quitting yet the Educator's made out that you were, in fact, causing trouble for them... why because you wanted gloves to change nappies because you were doing the RIGHT thing, because you know what's right, because you could see all the MISTAKES they were doing... they probably felt ashamed and embarrassed because you (a new Educator) came into the service and you knew more about work ethics then they apparently did!

Forget it! Keep your head held high because you didn't do anything wrong!!

That centre doesn't deserve you!!

Don't shed a tear for a centre like that!!

You're a very passionate and caring Educator and you will find a centre that really appreciates your efforts!

Happy Educators Day! Thank you for standing up for what you believe in and to holding on to your moral values!!

You'll do just fine!!

Lorinna

grtz

Post by grtz » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:24 pm

Thanks a lot Lorina, really it helps a lot. feeling much better now .

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:15 pm

Anytime!

I'm always here to support you!

Lorina

grtz

Post by grtz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:47 am

Hi Lorina

I am planning to start my own FDC now because of the following reasons
1. Working as a casual educator for an agency on call making me and my 2 wonderful girls (10 year old and 3 year old) stress out a lot in the morning as my hubby leaves to works at 5.30am
2. I can take good care of my 3 year old through out the day instead of leaving her in another centre
3. I am pretty sure that I can give my 100% to the kids in my care
4.there won't be anyone around to put me down or make me feel as good for nothing if I do the right thing

And yes I can also earn decent money for my effort.

So I will be contacting the council and searching for good FDC scheme to start with in the coming days.

Wish me good luck and offer your valuable support as always Lorina

Thank you

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:34 pm

I think that's the absolute best decision you have made!!!

You will be a fantastic FDC Educator and you can also include your own child in your own FDC which is so great!

It's so exciting and I'm so happy for you! :) :) :)

You have a lot to plan! Get your room environment ready! Get activities organised! It's so fun!

I'm with you every step of the way!!

Let me know how you go!!

Lorina

grtz

Post by grtz » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:06 pm

Thank you so much Lorina for your wonderful support.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:46 am

You're most welcome!

I'm always here if you need extra support!

Lorina