Paid Overtime For Children's Xmas Party

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
chichi
Helper
Helper

Paid Overtime For Children's Xmas Party

Post by chichi » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:35 am

Hi,

I'm a bit frustrating about my covers action with my director about the Christmas party for the kids. I my roarer said I finish at 4pm and we have a Xmas party at the centre for children and their parents that doesn't finish till 5:30. My director told me that I have to help out clean up and stay longer with no pay, no time in lieu for as long as they need us. I find this is quite unreasonable as I would consider this volunteering without asking me and expect me to know it is Christmas party. She told me it's part of the job and it works in all centres across Oz. is that true? Or should I just leave at my roaster time and walk out at 4? As I already worked my 7.5hours for the day.
I offer to help out for 30mins after my roaster time for free she was not happy and said I should just stay till everything is done.

Someone help me pls.

MarlyW

Re: Should I be getting paid overtime?

Post by MarlyW » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:49 pm

Your director is not correct in saying that this works in all centres across Australia, unless the staff are also getting a meal at the party which is paid for by the centre. If the staff are getting fed then it is reasonable for you not to be paid, but if you are working and not having food provided for you then yes I believe you should be getting some form of pay.

Lorina

Re: Paid Overtime For Children's Xmas Party

Post by Lorina » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:51 pm

Any work that is not part of your normal work hours is considered overtime or "time in lieu" and you should not be made to clean up or stay back if it's not part of your normal working hours. It's not part of the job and educators staying back for the children's Xmas party to supervise or to help clean up should at least be getting time in lieu since you have to continue to work after your normal shift...

It's unfair and unethical that your Director is demanding that you stay back...

:geek:,
Lorina

chichi
Helper
Helper

Post by chichi » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:09 pm

Hi Lorina,

Thank you for your confirmation. I agreed with you. I feel that the director was very unreasonable and the way she spoke to me was very disrespectful. Because right after the discussion i was told my job is to clean the bath room. So After all the drama I have decided to resign and leave the centre. I was very unhappy with the way I was treated in there. I have reported this incident to the company that manages with the director. I have requested to have my annual leave and any entitlement paid to me. I came to a point I really don't want to have anything to do with them and hope the best of for the rest of the employee in there. I'm very sad about the situation and how I have been treated.

Now I am looking for a new position while im studying my diploma so I hope to find a centre that is ethical, reasonable and understand that Educator are have rights and dignity too. :(

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:03 pm

HI ChiChi,

Sometimes you just got to do what is right and if you feel you have been treated unethically and have been disrespected then leaving is a very good choice!

A small minority of Directors have a real ego problem and love to overpower staff. Not all staff just the "quiet" ones, the educators who won't complain about getting treated unfairly or being told to do extra work without being paid etc. There will be educators like this because they are scared of losing their jobs and they don't have the confidence to stand up to the Director.

Don't be too sad, a centre like that doesn't need your tears! It's almost a new year and a new beginning so it's a very postive step you have chosen. Things happen for a reason so try not to dwell on it!

Onto bigger and better things!!

:geek:,
Lorina

chichi
Helper
Helper

Post by chichi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:02 pm

Thank you for your support Lorina,

I agreed that she does have the ego issues. I'm happy that I have left the centre.

However, i have very good news. I went to a Pre School today and gave them my resume to apply for casual work while studying. They are very happy with me and said I could start with them early next year and gave me all the information pack. The staffs in the pre school seems to be very friendly and nice. All the paper work they gave it to me looks much proper than the last centre I was at. They also told me they are going to open another centre next year so there will be opportunity for me to grow. I'm so excited :) In the mean time I can study as much as I can to catch up with all my assignments too. YAY!

Thank you so much for making me feel much better and I am on the rights of ethics. I do believe been ethical in children services is very important. As my last centre it was very messy where they left me with 18 children on my own at one stage. So I'm glad Im out of it too.