Does minimum award include super?

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
MrsYellow

Does minimum award include super?

Post by MrsYellow » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:30 pm

Hi,

I recently started a new job as an ECT in a long daycare centre (Bachelor of Early Childhood Education). I share the role as an ECT only working part time. Not all children in my room are of kindy age.

My wage is 33,5 dollars per hour but it includes superannuation, bringing it down to 30 dollars. Is superannuation included in the minimum award?

I have about 3-4 years of experience working in childcare centres but never as an ECT apart from some off casual days. My previous experience does not seem to be taken into account, is this correct?

Furthermore, we are expected to arrive 15 mins early before our shift starts to set up our room and be ready in case of ratios need. I understand why and I am early anyway but I am surprised it is not paid when officially "expected".

Lastly, team meetings are mandatory and not paid. In my previous jobs these were also unpaid but I believe because we were above award AND dinner was provided this was "legal". I completely understand the need for team meetings... Still, is this legal?

Lastly, I have a question in regards to who is allowed to work as a room leader in case of sickness. My child's room, at the same centre, was supervised by one trainer certificate 3 person and one certificate 3 person and the children were often left alone with a trainee. Is this legal?

I am starting to worry about my employment.

davidoliver

Re: Does minimum award include super?

Post by davidoliver » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:00 am

In general, the minimum award or minimum wage requirements set by law do not include superannuation contributions. Superannuation is a mandatory contribution made by employers in Australia on behalf of their employees to provide for their retirement. The current rate of superannuation contributions is 10% of an employee's ordinary earnings.

Employers are required by law to make superannuation contributions on behalf of their employees, in addition to paying the minimum award or minimum wage. It is important for employees to check their pay statements or speak with their employer to ensure that they are receiving the correct amount of superannuation contributions in addition to their minimum award or minimum wage entitlements.

Recove

Post by Recove » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:50 pm

Regarding unpaid time for setting up the room and attending team meetings, it's important to review your employment contract, award, or agreement. Generally, any work-related activities that are required by your employer, such as setting up the room or attending mandatory meetings, should be compensated. If you believe that you should be paid for this time, it's advisable to discuss it with your employer or seek advice from a labor rights organization or professional to determine if there are any violations of employment laws or agreements.

soulahoin

Post by soulahoin » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:02 pm

I'm not an expert, but I can try to offer some insights. Superannuation is typically included as part of the total package, but you may want to check your specific award or contract for the details. Your previous experience not being taken into account might be something to discuss with HR or your employer to see if there's room for negotiation.

naivechilis

Post by naivechilis » Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:41 pm

soulahoin wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:02 pm
I'm not an expert, but I can try to offer some insights. Superannuation is typically included as part of the total package, but you may want to check your specific award or contract for the details.eggy car Your previous experience not being taken into account might be something to discuss with HR or your employer to see if there's room for negotiation.
Thanks for sharing these important details! :angel:

wilkinsonwilfrid

Post by wilkinsonwilfrid » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:13 pm

MrsYellow wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:30 pm
Hi,

I recently started a new job as an ECT in a long daycare centre (Bachelor of Early Childhood Education). I share the role as an ECT only working part time. Not all children in my room are of kindy age.

My wage is 33,5 dollars per hour but it includes superannuation, bringing it down to 30 dollars. Is superannuation included in the minimum award?

I have about 3-4 years of experience working in childcare centres but never as an ECT apart from some off casual days. My previous experience does not seem to be taken into account, is this correct?

Furthermore, we are expected to arrive 15 mins early before our shift starts to set up our room and be ready in case of ratios need. I understand why and I am early anyway but I am surprised it is not paid when officially "expected".

Lastly, team meetings are mandatory and not paid. In my previous jobs these were also unpaid but I believe because we were above award AND dinner was provided this was "legal". I completely understand the need for team meetings... Still, is this legal?

Lastly, I have a question in regards to who is allowed to work as a room leader in case of sickness. My child's room, at the same centre, was supervised by one trainer certificate 3 person and one certificate 3 person and the children were often left alone with a trainee. Is this legal?

I am starting to worry about my employment.
Your desire for clarification on these matters pertaining to your job is commendable. Now, we can take care of all of your worries:

In Australia, your employer is required to contribute a set amount each month on top of your salary to a fund known as superannuation. Your employment-related award or agreement will determine whether or not it is part of the minimum award. To find out if the minimum hourly wage includes superannuation, you should look into your employment contract, award, or agreement.

Even if you're starting off in a new career or position, your prior experience should be considered when calculating your salary. Consult your employer or the applicable award or agreement for clarification if you believe your present salary does not adequately reflect your relevant work experience.

Showing up early for set-up and attending required team meetings are often expected of employees without extra compensation. But these requirements ought to be laid out in your award, contract, or employment contract. You should talk to your boss or a union representative if you're worried about doing unpaid work.