diploma qualified part time floater pay rate?

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
EmilyWood

diploma qualified part time floater pay rate?

Post by EmilyWood » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi..
i have a pay query that may not be straight forward (or perhaps im just not understanding and making it too complicated)

I am diploma qualified (since 2005), working part time in LDC
I am getting paid at rate consistent with LEVEL 4.2 and Title on Position Description is 'Group Leader'.
I know this should probably be a simple case however there
are a few points i am unclear on when looking at pay and classifications...

1. does progression to next pay level depend on years in industry or years at current center?
(it seems odd to me that you might have to begin each level again each new job)

2. exactly what defines educator 'in charge' -is it only if you are permanently working as the appointed room leader in charge of one group/team of educators?
or can you be 'diploma in charge' doing the job in a more broad capacity across entire center?

3. if my contract and pay is in line with LEVEL 4.2 but my daily duties may not necessarily class me as diploma 'in charge' can i still expect my level to progress each year (ie. because a level 3.4 would stay at 3.4 )

Sorry this question is so long.. I just haven't been able to find clear answers or reference to
how working part time might affect a person's wage opportunities.

Thanks for your time and your help. i hope this makes sense

Lorina

Re: diploma qualified part time floater pay rate?

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:49 pm

1. Progression of pay usually depends on years industry. Since you have completed your Diploma in 2005, you should be paid the highest Diploma Level which is 4.3. Once you reach Level 4.3 your pay wage will stay at this rate since there is no further progression unless you become a 2IC of the service or a Director.

2. In charge is a Room Leader position, you mentioned you're working as a floater, so does this mean that when you're in the room you take over the room leader position or as you there to assist within the room?

3. If you are assisting in the room, then your pay level will be 3.4. This is the maximum pay level for a Diploma assistant educator so progression to the next level will only be if you move into a room leader position.

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:51 pm

If you are currently floating and being paid as a Level 4.2, and you are not necessarily "taking charge of the room" e.g. "room leader" then you are being paid above award wage for your job position... what exactly is your role as a floater?

Lorina

EmilyWood

Post by EmilyWood » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:56 am

Thank you for your reply (so long ago now) Lorina. I still need clareification on this if possible.

-I think I am taking over room leader pos when in a room however what would this look like exactly?
I am counted as dip qual for ratios and would be pedson responsible if department rocked up for example.

Also,
I hold the position of Sustainability Representative, running my own programincluding QIP, learning dev plans etc. across the entire centre (6 rooms, 90 place). I know this is not "in charge" technically when it comes to ratios however, could this be relevant when discussing my pay level with management?

Thank you so much for your help!
It seems (to me) this particular area could be addressed/defined more clearly within the award.

EmilyWood

Post by EmilyWood » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:03 am

..to add to this, I contribute to program planning and implementation while in each room.. is this what "in charge" would refer to?
Also, in a centre/room where assistants are perminant and everyone knows the routine/program and their role, how would I define "in charge" more clearly?

Sorry, i feel like this is either a really 'dumb' question or a very gray area.
Thanks again

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:51 pm

Here are your responsibilities as of a Level 4 Educator:

Level 4

This is an employee who has completed a Diploma in Children's Services or equivalent (e.g. Certificate IV in Out of School Hours Care) as recognised by licensing authorities and is appointed as the person in charge of a group of children in the age range from birth to 12 years or an employee who is appointed as an Authorised Supervisor (as defined in the Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998 (NSW)). An employee at this level will also take on the same duties and perform the same tasks as a CSE Level 3.

Indicative duties:

Responsible, in consultation with the Assistant Director/Director for the preparation, implementation and evaluation of a developmentally appropriate program for individual children or groups.
Responsible to the Assistant Director/Director for the supervision of students on placement.
Responsible for ensuring a safe environment is maintained for both staff and children.
Responsible for ensuring that records are maintained accurately for each child in their care.
Develop, implement and evaluate daily care routines.
Ensure that the centre or service's policies and procedures are adhered to.
Liaise with families.

Also including your responsibilities of a Level 3 Educator:

Indicative duties:

Assist in the preparation, implementation and evaluation of developmentally appropriate programs for individual children or groups.
Record observations of individual children or groups for program planning purposes for qualified staff.
Under direction, work with individual children with particular needs.
Assist in the direction of untrained staff.
Undertake and implement the requirements of quality assurance.
Work in accordance with food safety regulations.

Hope this helps your understanding of your Duties...

Lorina