Switching centres during traineeship

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
AnnieM19

Switching centres during traineeship

Post by AnnieM19 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi, I've been at my centre doing my cert III traineeship for 3 months now. I love the job and the kids but my director is a bully and is making my life a living hell. I was sure I could stick it out for the year but I don't know if I can. Is it possible to do the rest of my traineeship at another centre? Will any other centres even take me on? Will all of the work and assignments I've already done be worth nothing?

Please help, I feel so stuck and have no idea what to do!

Lorina

Re: Switching centres during traineeship

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:24 pm

Yes, it is possible to switch centre however it is a bit of a process - you need to find a service that's willing to take you on as a trainee to continue your study and you need to discuss why you want to move with your RTO as well as your service and get approval from them before leaving etc.

If you're getting bullied, you need to address it, even with your Director. You need to confront your Director and let them know you don't like the way they are treating you. You shouldn't be made to feel like crap no matter who you are and just because someone is in a higher position they shouldn't treat you like crap either!

You have a decision to deal with it by confronting your Director or moving to another centre to complete your traineeship...

:geek:,
Lorina

AnnieM19

Post by AnnieM19 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi Lorina. My Director is getting worse and so far has made out EC cry twice this week and the other girls are also upset and frustrated. She has been gossiping about us all behind our backs and there's truthfully no reasoning with her at all. I'm looking to move centres, but truthfully would any other centres take a trainee halfway through?

How do I go about this?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed May 16, 2018 11:17 pm

I'm sorry to hear this! What is going on at your centre? It seems like such a hostile environment to work in! Can you talk to someone in management? The owner? If the Director is like this, then something needs to be done. Can you please ask the girls as well as yourself to detail all the incidents that have taken place, including what happened and what was said etc. This information can be referred to if need be.

In regards to your traineeship, have you discussed this with your RTO? What options are they given you and if this is possible? If there is a problem such as bullying then this is reasonable means to change your traineeship.

Talk to your RTO and let them know what's happening...

Lorina

AnnieM19

Post by AnnieM19 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:54 pm

It is very hostile. Just this week, our ECT has cried again and had to go home and another staff member has cried too. Myself and another trainee were left to be in the baby room for two days alone, while my room leader had all ten of our kids alone. We all get bullied and yelled at, and treated like cleaners (I've been pulled out of caring for my kids to scrub skirting boards, hand clean the grooves of the sliding doors, vacuum her office, etc).

It's a family owned business and our directors parents own it, so no go. There's only 6 staff including me for a 37 place centre. My room leader has reported them to our RTO before and they had a meeting but didn't go any further. I know there's no reasoning with her as she's been here for 20 years and staff turn over is always high. I don't want confrontation, I just want to get out with as little drama as possible.

Are any other centres likely to take on a trainee halfway through? I'll contact my RTO anyway and see what they say.

AnnieM19

Post by AnnieM19 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Sorry, my mistake; only 6 staff for a 57 PLACE centre with no casuals. Almost always out of ratio.

Last week I was left alone in the 0-2 room with three babies after lunch to clean up, heat up and give them bottles, pat and rock them to sleep, clean bathrooms, put out washing and write up our day book and print it out all alone. Alone in a room as a trainee with three babies to get to sleep because my director wanted out other trainee to write her a Facebook post.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon May 21, 2018 5:26 pm

You need to find another place... as a trainee you are supposed to be learning and it doesn't seem like you are learning anything except being bullied and humiliated. This is not the right centre to be doing your traineeship with. Before leaving it's best to find a centre who would like to take you on, so in the meantime, start searching for a centre in your locality... once you find a centre then leave but I wouldn't advise leaving until you find another centre first.

Lorina

Tanae1992

Post by Tanae1992 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:53 pm

As a Trainee it really does suck, I have been there and done that I got humiliated and pulled aside multiple times and was told false information about me. Turned out another girl at the centre was trying to get my out so she could have a secure job. On another note my 2nd year was pretty stupid i was told that i could return after having surgery then a week before hand, the director turned around and said its just easy if i say u cant have your job anymore. The girl at the centre who got me out congratulations, firstly the centre has lost a good worker and secondly have fun being a nasty person not many people are going to like you or enjoy your company. The company will be loosing alot of trainees. Lesson learnt to all centres, stop making trainees to the crap jobs there educators in the learning let them run the class every now and then and boost there confidence.

Your better then those silly immature loosers let them run after you if your really loyal to them.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue May 29, 2018 3:27 pm

Tanae1992 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:53 pm
As a Trainee it really does suck, I have been there and done that I got humiliated and pulled aside multiple times and was told false information about me. Turned out another girl at the centre was trying to get my out so she could have a secure job. On another note my 2nd year was pretty stupid i was told that i could return after having surgery then a week before hand, the director turned around and said its just easy if i say u cant have your job anymore. The girl at the centre who got me out congratulations, firstly the centre has lost a good worker and secondly have fun being a nasty person not many people are going to like you or enjoy your company. The company will be loosing alot of trainees. Lesson learnt to all centres, stop making trainees to the crap jobs there educators in the learning let them run the class every now and then and boost there confidence.

Your better then those silly immature loosers let them run after you if your really loyal to them.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's frustrating to hear that it didn't turn out so well for you. You're right though, some services use trainees as an excuse and your stuck doing all the crappy jobs while other Educators are busy with the children. It's completely unfair and unethical. As a trainee you are learning on the job, to gain hands-on experience... I think that all services that are willing to take on a trainee should be checked by the RTO. They should have something like a trainee auditor that goes to the service, talks to the Director and finds out exactly how the trainee will be used in the service and periodically the service should be checked up on etc. It needs to be done, so trainees like yourself are not used and abused...

I hope you are at a better service now!

Lorina