Completing A Traineeship As An International Student

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Ment

Completing A Traineeship As An International Student

Post by Ment » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:51 pm

Hello,

I am new to the forum and relatively new to my CERT 3 in Childcare. I am actually interested in doing a traineeship however I dont know if this is possible as I am an international student. Does anyone know if I can apply for a traineeship? The only thing i could think that would hold me back that my visa only allows 20 hours of paid work per week. If I cant do a traineeship can I work in a childcare as a trainee educator as long as I am studying the Cert 3? At the moment I am only doing practical one day per week (unpaid).

If anyone has any experience on the subject it would be helpful.

Cheers,

M

Lorina

Re: Completing A Traineeship As An International Student

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:11 am

From what I understand only Australian citizens and New Zealand citizens who have entered Australia on a valid passport, have unrestricted rights to apprenticeships and traineeships in Australia. Any other person wanting to participate in an apprenticeship or traineeship in Australia must have a visa allowing employment.Any other person wanting to work in Australia must have a visa allowing employment. It's probably best to contact a course provider such as TAFE to confirm whether or not you are able to complete a traineeship based upon your current visa status...

If you cannot do a traineeship, then you can complete a cert 3 or diploma qualification in childcare. You could either do this online or on the course provider campus. While doing your qualification, you will need to complete a certain amount of practical placement hours, which is unpaid. So, that's another option to consider if you cannot pursue a traineeship.

:geek:,
Lorina