What if the centre is out of ratio at the end of the shift

Educator to child ratios, ratios within a service, ratios with different ages etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Leeny76

What if the centre is out of ratio at the end of the shift

Post by Leeny76 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:58 pm

Hi,

I am a casual. I originally claimed a 10-2 ISS shift. A couple days before the director asked could I work 8-4 instead. I said I could only do 9-3 that day as I had to pick up / drop off my kids from school. She said okay, thanks. On the day, a few minutes to three she asked could I stay longer, as they would be out of ratio (7 toddlers (1:5 ratio needed) for one staff). I said no I need to pick my daughter from school. She said she couldn’t stop me from leaving but I would be leaving them out of ratio. Is this going to be an issue for me? Am I in violation of the regulations for not staying, or are they for not trying to get another staff member that could do 8-4 to begin with? Or are we both wrong? Bit worried about my job now.

Thanks

Lorina

Re: What if the centre is out of ratio at the end of the shift

Post by Lorina » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi!

Since you were only required to work 9-3 and you finished your shift it's not upto you to stay back due to ratios. The director should have alternative arrangements especially if you mentioned that you're unable to previously because of prior commitments.

It's not your problem and the director shouldn't make you responsible. In such situations where ratios need to be covered, staff need to be shifted or combined for example, or the director herself has to go onto the floor until ratios are covered.

Nothing for you to worry about because it's not your responsibility.

:geek:,
Lorina