Qualification Ratio

Educator to child ratios, ratios within a service, ratios with different ages etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lilmunchy

Qualification Ratio

Post by Lilmunchy » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:12 am

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can assist with the ratios for diploma qualified workers. I know that 50% need a diploma but is that the whole centre or individual rooms? We just lost an educator in my sons room and now I believe it’s just cert 3s in the under 2 room which I’m not that happy about.

Also is it within my rights to ask for a list of qualifications of staff as I’m unsure whether the have the 50% diploma due to a mass exodus of staff this year? Any help appreciated

Lorina

Re: Qualification Ratio

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:55 pm

Hi!

In regards to the Diploma Qualification, this is the information from the Regulation itself:

Centre-based services—general educator qualifications

(1) The qualification requirements for educators at a centre-based service educating and caring for children preschool age or under are as follows—

(a) at least 50 per cent of the educators who are required to meet the relevant educator-to-child ratios for the service must have, or be actively working towards, at least an approved diploma level education and care qualification; and

(b) all other educators who are required to meet the relevant educator-to-child ratios for the service must have, or be actively working towards, at least an approved certificate III level education and care qualification.

So it is in regards to the whole centre, however, a Diploma Qualified Educator needs to be present in your son's room as they are responsible for the programming, planning and documentation of the learning that takes place within the room. A Cert 3 Educator is not qualified to take this responsibility. Only having Cert 3 currently in the room could be only temporary as they try to find a replacement to take over the Diploma role. So, maybe give the centre the benefit of the doubt and some time... if you are still feeling uncomfortable you can always approach the Director itself for a chat about it.

In regards to viewing the list of qualifications of the staff, I'm really not sure if the Director will give you this information. However, if they are meeting regulations and ratio requirements then they shouldn't be hiding any information if you ask... let me see if I can get more information about this.

:geek:,
Lorina