New NQS

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
ozchez
Participator
Participator

New NQS

Post by ozchez » Wed May 17, 2017 7:07 pm

I have just read through the new changes to the NQS when it takes effect as of Feb 2018. What has me confused is the last section under "Quality Area 4: The elements about educator to child ratios and qualification requirements have been removed as they must be maintained at all times under the National Regulations. "

Does this mean they are taking away the ratio requirements?? or what does this mean??

Cheryl

QuinnsKids

Re: New NQS

Post by QuinnsKids » Thu May 18, 2017 10:48 am

I think it means that as it is essential that child:educator ratios are maintained under national law, there is no need to state it in NQS. If ratios are not maintained then we'd be breaking the law which is more severe than assessing the quality of our service. Thoughts?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat May 20, 2017 11:39 pm

QuinnsKids wrote:I think it means that as it is essential that child:educator ratios are maintained under national law, there is no need to state it in NQS. If ratios are not maintained then we'd be breaking the law which is more severe than assessing the quality of our service. Thoughts?
Yes, you're right! Since it is part of the National Regulations, which is the law then it doesn't really need to be stated in the NQS as well... since the National Regulations is also part of the NQF, as is the NQS...

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat May 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Sorry for my delayed reply... been in hospital...

Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Mon May 22, 2017 2:05 pm

Hope you are okay Lorina :wave:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon May 22, 2017 4:12 pm

linsaa fdc wrote:Hope you are okay Lorina :wave:
Thanks Lindsay! I'll be ok...I suffer from stage 4 endometriosis cysts and this is my second operation in 2 years to get cysts removed from my ovaries etc. It's very severe in my case and they grow quite rapidly throughout my ovaries, uterus etc. So, just have to take it easy for the next couple of weeks until my insides heal...

Lorina

ozchez
Participator
Participator

Post by ozchez » Mon May 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I just hope that every centre does still abide with the educator:child ratios when it is not stated in the NQS cos I am sure that there will be centres out there that will think "it's not in the book - it doesn't apply anymore"

Sometimes I think it needs to be 'idiot-proof' and the more it is written the more it will have meaning

Just my thoughts

Cheryl

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon May 22, 2017 5:08 pm

Of course, everyone will have to follow the ratio because it's in the National Regulations... Even more so, the National Regulations will still have to be followed because it is the law. Not everything in the National Regulations is stated in the NQS as well... So, centres will have to follow both of these documents... Yes, but I don't think it was necessary to remove it from the NQS as well and I understand your point...

Lorina