Maximum number of focus children

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
skelly

Maximum number of focus children

Post by skelly » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:52 pm

Hi there,
I am an ECT who works 24hrs per week as I have young children of my own. In the centre I work at, there is another educator in the room with me who is full time. We each have 15 children to observe and document. I am struggling to do this in my 2hrs of allocated programming time and don't feel that I should have the same workload as someone who works full time. Is there a maximum number of children that you should have or is it merely at the Director's discretion?

Many thanks,
Skelly

Lorina

Re: Maximum number of focus children

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:56 pm

It's definitely hard... usually you split the focus children evenly between the Educators in the room... there is no set amount it's purely up to the discretion of the Director. Are you able to work out something with the other Educator? Do you have a roster/calendar to follow so you know which child to observe for the day? How many obs do you do per child per month? How many days do you do per week?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get an idea and how you could best manage it.

:geek:,
Lorina