How do you successfully encourage families to provide feedback & suggestions on experiences/program plans?

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
sheridyn

How do you successfully encourage families to provide feedback & suggestions on experiences/program plans?

Post by sheridyn » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:06 pm

A bit of background info: I work full time in a long day care centre, and am currently completing my Advanced Diploma through an online course with OWFC. Part of the course requires me to do some online networking, and I've decided to see if anyone has any suggestions in something that I think can be a struggle for most long day care workers - how do you get families to provide feedback on documents such as learning stories on their child, or daily reflections?? There are always a few families who do this consistently but we would love to hear ideas/suggestions/feedback from the majority of families and not just the same ones every week. This year we have started asking specific questions IN the reflections to give families ideas of what to write such as "are your children exposed to any languages other than English that we could incorporate into the program?" which has had positive results but we'd like even more.
Any ideas??
Thanks

Sheridyn

Lorina

Re: How do you successfully encourage families to provide feedback & suggestions on experiences/program plans?

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:24 pm

It's important when talking with parents to mentally take notes that you can add to the documentation as part of parent input. Unfortunately not all parents are willing to write down their feedback so we have to do it for them. For example, a parent reads the daily reflection and comes and tells you that they like one of the experiences you provided and how to do it, add that as parent input. You can just write "Sarah (Annie's mum) mentioned she likes the .... experience and would like to know how to do it. To follow up in the monthly newsletter we will add details on some of the experiences we set up" etc. Hopefully you get the idea... If you are needing feedback forms from parents you can email them or. Next to the sign in/ sign out provide these on a clip board so the parents can do it then and there rather than take it home.

You can check out the following topic where parent input has been discussed and others have shared their ideas:

parent input

We will be releasing Portfolio templates soon and included in this are a couple of patent input forms ( all about my child & family life) you can have a look at the samples here:

Online EYLF Tools 0.0.4 - Support Forum!

Hope this gives you some ideas,

:geek:,
L.A

sheridyn

Re: How do you successfully encourage families to provide feedback & suggestions on experiences/program plans?

Post by sheridyn » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Thank you! Very helpful and I've got a few ideas already. We do have a document for adding information about childrens interests and the source, whether it be written feedback, verbal, or our own observations of the children, though it's not always easily accessible so that needs to be more readily available, and actually USED by staff. Changing habits is the hardest part! :)

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:22 pm

I have found doing surveys through Survey Monkey (free) helps me ask parents what the best way for them to do something is. So e.g. found out parents found it easier to be emailed what next weeks show & tell was and email back show & tell photos as it saved them time.

Perhaps do a short survey to find out what the best way is that they feel they could participate in the program and give feedback etc

I also used to hand out ready made templates for them to fill in to stick in portfolios like THIS WEEKEND WE... with space for a photo and a few lines underneath to write something