Focus children and focus outcome

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Elianaa
Participator
Participator

Focus children and focus outcome

Post by Elianaa » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:39 pm

Hey Everyone,
I need some advice. Have recently joined two centres together, and I’m having some problems with them taking over haha.
My new room leader wants us to have focus children that we change every 3 weeks, but also wants each educator(there’s 5 of us) to be responsible for one outcome each. And the outcome you are assigned is what you have to focus on and write about for the rest of the year. Personally I don’t love this idea (for many reasons) but I was just wondering what you guys think?
I think it’s better to get 5 opinions and different activities and being set up for each outcome, rather than just one person being in charge.

Lorina

Re: Focus children and focus outcome

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:48 pm

I agree with you, focusing on one outcome per observation is not my favourite idea... especially when a child is engaged in a particular experience, they can achieve more than the one outcome itself. Also, it's a good idea to get a broader understanding of the outcomes and doing observations is a good way to gain meaning.

I can understand though why the room leader wants to do this though, to make sure that all outcomes are covered. However, there are other ways that this can be done such as through keeping a chart of outcomes and all educators note down the outcomes they have observed so you're not doubling up etc.

If you're concerned talk to your room leader and give her a suggestion (such as a chart) and see what other methods can be implemented.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Elianaa
Participator
Participator

Post by Elianaa » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:03 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I tried really hard today to explain my point of view, to no avail. I feel very restricted but I guess I’m just going to have to get over it.
So pls give me all your favourite ideas for activities for Outcome 2, as I’m going to be stuck doing it for the rest of the year haha.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:12 pm

Well, at least you tried!

Have a look at the following, it will show you how a child can achieve outcomes (for you look at Outcome 2).

How Children Can Achieve Outcomes

:geek:,
Lorina