Help with a job application

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
LindyT
Coach
Coach

Help with a job application

Post by LindyT » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi everyone.

I have finally found the courage to apply for a position in a LDC from FDC. Things have changed so much since I last applied for a job.

It has been over a decade since I last applied for a job and was wondering if I could get some help in understanding the selection criteria.

Sound theoretical knowledge of how children grow and learn with demonstrated practical skills in implementing an approved curriculum.

Sound knowledge of National early childhood regulations, standards, approved curriculum and policies with demonstrated skills in applying these in practice.

Sound skills in building respectful and equitable relationships with children, families, teams and others in the community

Sound professional resourcefulness with good time management, oral and written communication skills.

Sound knowledge of Workplace Health and Safety (WH&S) and Workplace Diversity (WD) principles with the demonstrated ability to apply these in practice.

Do they actually want me to blather on about how I meet these requirements at length or in dot form or do they just want a basic snapshot of how I understand these points?

An example would be useful if possible.

Thanks in advance
Lindy
Last edited by Lorina on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic has been moved from General Discussion forum

Lorina

Re: Help with a job application

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:22 pm

That's Awesome Lindy! Great to hear you're taking the big step...

I think with the points mentioned, they just what you to show your understanding in brief way. Even though this is part of the job description during the interview they may or may not ask about the points. They may ask you a scenario, how you would handle certain situations, understanding of EYLF etc. However, it's good to be prepared anyway.

For the job application, I don't think you need to go through each point and write details of how you meet each requirement. It's just an overview of what the employers are looking for, for whoever is applying for that specific position.
Sound theoretical knowledge of how children grow and learn with demonstrated practical skills in implementing an approved curriculum

Here you can refer to Piaget and Erikson and why it is important to include both of these theorists within children's learning. You can also discuss how you implement the EYLF using play based format, based on children's interests and experiences etc.
Sound knowledge of National early childhood regulations, standards, approved curriculum and policies with demonstrated skills in applying these in practice.

Refer to the NQS, Quality Areas, EYLF etc. How you apply these within your learning environment.
Sound skills in building respectful and equitable relationships with children, families, teams and others in the community

For example - asking parents for feedback about their child, adding children's interests onto the curriculum, supporting team members within the service etc.
Sound professional resourcefulness with good time management, oral and written communication skills.

Ways you handle time management, complete documentation etc.
Sound knowledge of Workplace Health and Safety (WH&S) and Workplace Diversity (WD) principles with the demonstrated ability to apply these in practice.

This would refer to hygiene and health matters within the workplace. For example - using gloves, administering medication, first aid procedures etc. Workplace Diversity would cover such things as how you would include diversity within your room (adding posters, singing songs in different languages, celebrating different cultures etc).

Good Luck with it all and let me know how it goes!

:geek:,
L.A

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks LA that's a great help!

I am really nervous about moving into LDC. Me being 4 1/2 decades old.
I need to find time to go get the WWCC done not sure if my FDC one counts.
Cover page blah blah blah is all rather scary lol

I will definitely keep you posted!!

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:26 pm

Wow.. Moving from FDC to LDC is a change and you will notice a lot of difference. At least the responsibility will be a little bit lesser in LDC since you don't need to do everything from taking care of children, following up on fees, bookings, paperwork, cleaning, setting up and the whole lot all by yourself. Have you worked in LDC before you became a family daycarer?

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 pm

I am really looking forward to the change if I get the job. Going to have to get moving on the application. I am so worried about not putting up a great résumé.

I worked for a short period as Admin and lunchtime relief at the Centre I am applying at but there is different management & staff there now. The old Director recommended I work in EC as she saw how much the children loved being with me.

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:34 am

Hi Lindy. I think you will do great and won't have any problems getting a job in LDC - like catchmeifucan pointed out it will be a major asset that you have done everything single- handedly ! I am ( almost any minute!) 40 and have finally found a Centre that values my age and the life experience that I have amassed - you surely will too!
Look forward to hearing how it all goes xx

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:17 am

This is what I have so far for the selection Criteria

Sound theoretical knowledge of how children grow and learn with demonstrated practical skills in implementing an approved curriculum

Discovering how and why children learn is of great interest to me. Completing my Certificate III in Children’s Services and many professional development courses over the years has built upon my knowledge and experience in children’s development. The Early Years Learning Framework made sense to me. Children learn best through play/experiences.

The National Quality Standards, Quality Areas, Early Years Learning Framework are the mainstay of programming. It helps to build consistent quality learning for all children that access the early learning environment. The Standards ensure that all Early Childhood Educators are working at the same level of professionalism. The Quality Areas show Educators the way to guide the children and ourselves and the Early Years Learning framework is the curriculum or Backbone of the children learning. When the children are inquisitive and engaged; the learning shines.

is harder than I though even with LA's amazing help lol

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Thu May 23, 2013 2:20 pm

I didnt get the job :(
I did end up getting my resume done by a professional agency tho.

Had the interview and I left with the feeling my knowledge wasn't what they were looking for. mores the pity.
Oh well onwards and upwards.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri May 24, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi Lindy,

I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you... that really sucks! Don't worry keep trying and I'm sure you will find something soon...

Did they ask you the points from the selection criteria you posted above?

You mentioned you had professionals do your resume. What exactly did they do?

Sometimes I wish that a centre wouldn't judge solely on how well an interview goes... They should ask candidates to spend a couple of hours in the room with the children and base it on how well they do practically rather than how well a few questions are answered!

All will be well,

L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri May 24, 2013 11:12 pm

Hi Lindy,

I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you... that really sucks! Don't worry keep trying and I'm sure you will find something soon...

Did they ask you the points from the selection criteria you posted above?

You mentioned you had professionals do your resume. What exactly did they do?

Sometimes I wish that a centre wouldn't judge solely on how well an interview goes... They should ask candidates to spend a couple of hours in the room with the children and base it on how well they do practically rather than how well a few questions are answered!

All will be well,

L.A

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sat May 25, 2013 8:41 am

Hi LA
Thanks. I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get the job. One of the ladies from the panel rung me yesterday to debrief over my non-selection (Which I thought was very professional of them to do).
She told me in every aspect my resume and experience was excellent BUT I just didn't have the 'Team' experience and as such I was drawing my experience from a solo perspective (As we have to do in FDC. I must admit I did think isn't solving the problem yourself instead of running to your team leader a better option? anyway thats just my bruised ego talking lol). Something I will have to figure out how to do. She was however VERY encouraging in hoping I would apply for future positions at their centre and asked me to keep a sharp eye out on their vacancies.

They really didn't ask anything from the selection criteria. They did 10 scenarios and 5 general questions.

For the professional resume I got them to do a cover letter, set up my resume and to write out my selection criteria. For the selection Criteria I has to write how I met the criteria and he just made it sound good lol. I was really pleased how he did my resume and cover letter. I paid $180 to get it done and think it was money well spent as I am now set up to do apply for further positions. For a further fee he will redo the selection criteria and cover letter. It was an American company that did it but they were the only ones that replied to my enquiries.

i agree LA I even had 2 activities in my bag ready to go should they ask me to work for a time with the children. They would have seen my quality work if they had given me the chance to interact with the children. Apparently I was only 1 of a few that had the working With Children Check done too so I could have gone straight into the room to work.

Anyway onwards and upwards I say.

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sat May 25, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi Lindy
Am sorry to hear you didn't get this job. However it is very valuable that they took the time to give you feedback- that is very rare! I'm thinking, in order to address the 'team worker' criteria, perhaps consider the ways you work with parents and families when considering each childrens needs. You could frame it that way-" I have experience working closely and collaboratively with families, much in the same way you would work in a team in a LDC setting" also mention that FDC is still team oriented- its just that each of you are your own Team Leader.
I had to go through over 6-8 interviews the last two times I was seeking work, and my employment came left-of- field both times. Wishing you the very best of luck! :D