wow, what a couple of stressful day

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Beck-scott

wow, what a couple of stressful day

Post by Beck-scott » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Just in need of some feedback. Yesterday I was suspended from work over professional misconduct as I spoke to a child in an unprofessional manner due to my frustrations that I was having with that child as well as other frustrations at work. So I was sent home yesterday at lunch time and went in today to have a meeting with the management team. The meeting was really positive and they also apologised for not giving me the support that I required as they threw me in the deep end this year with being room leader. I am spending next week doing intense training to help learn some skills.
What I am after is some advice on how to go back to work knowing that the other staff will be talking about me and what happened.
Also any tips on working as part of a team. This is my first job working as part of a team, I have always worked as a nanny or as an integration aide

Lorina

Re: wow, what a couple of stressful day

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:20 am

Sorry to hear about your situation... It's nice to hear that management were very supportive, however it's unfortunate that this situation had to take place in order for them to see that you were not coping or needed extra support.

It's not your fault, when we are over tired, over stressed, over worked it happens but I guess it's important to learn no matter how frustrated you are, it's best not to take it out on the children.

If you are finding it difficult to manage a child or deal with a certain situation, don't be afraid to ask for help. Approach another member of staff or the director/2IC and tell them that you would like an extra set of hands or that you need to take a break for a minute and remove yourself from the situation. Even to take a couple of minutes away from the situation can really help you think and come back and take control of the situation.

With the child you had the incident with, was it reported to the parents? How old is the child? Not too sure if you were asked to maybe "stay away" from the child (which doesn't help at all) but hopefully it didn't go to that extent. Have management told you how to handle dealings with the child? Are you able to interact with the child?

Ok, so as for going back to work, staff are going to talk about the incident that occurred...It's the weekly gossip. When working in childcare they say that matters are kept confidential but honestly they aren't. It will probably be talked about for the next week or so. Staff wont directly talk to you about what happened but between themselves they will talk.

Don't let it bother you... seriously... Go back to work, with your head held high, ready for a fresh start. Ignore the looks (if you get any) and the comments and just go about your business. Got to work, do your job, interact with the children and just get on with it... In about a week the incident will be forgotten and things will return back to normal.

When working as part of a team, like I mentioned before it's important to ask for help and support when needed. We all have bad days and it's ok sometimes to take a time out when it gets too much. I also find that you need to be open with the staff working with you. If you have a problem or an issue talk to the person involved about it or let your director know so it can be resolved. The more and more you leave it, the more problems will arise, making you hate coming to work, so it's best to deal with any incidents as it happens.

Also, it's best to try and keep your work life and private life separate. Meaning, if you are having problems at home as soon as you walk through the door at your work leave them at the door. Put a smile on your face and go to work and do your job. It's definitely easier said than done but it will help tremendously in how you handle situations, the children and the overall day.

Im going to add a couple of articles I had written, available on the site in Resources, Childcare Professionals on building positive relationships in childcare, with parents, staff and children. This should hopefully help give you a few more ideas on how to work as part of a team.

Building Positive Relationships In Childcare

Positive Relationships With Children

I really hope that all goes well for you and if you need any more advice feel free to let me know, I am here to support you.

Please let me know how it goes next week,

It will be alright,

:geek:,
L.A

debzo
Participator
Participator

Re: wow, what a couple of stressful day

Post by debzo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:42 am

I 'm sorry you have had to go through this. I am feeling so stressed at the moment that I am taking a sick day today and going to the doctor for some medication to get me through until the end of the year. Then I'm going to work casually. I don't think anyone realises the stress this job can put on a room leader. The situation needs the support of a good director and assistant director. I don't think there is much you can do as a room leader except continue to do your job as best you can.

I don't know your situation but mine is that in our area very few other people do much interacting or extending of the children's play when the rooms are merged outside. This is a nursery/toddler scenario, I am group leader of the nursery and there are two toddler rooms who also share our outside space. I have just been worn down over time with so little input from the others in the team. So many of the children in the three classrooms gravitate to me and it just becomes draining. It doesn't help matters that one class hasn't had any permanent staff in it for a month now. I constantly feel that my patience with the children is diminishing when my own nursery children need me because I am in effect covering three rooms.

I think that if you care enough to come to a forum like this you have probably been put under too much stress. You can't worry about what the others are thinking you just have to think about yourself and the job you are doing with the children in your care. Team work begins with leaders and if you don't have them you just have to fend for yourself. I know that probably isn't the pc answer but that's my reality at the moment.