Rosters

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
JacquieWaterfall

Rosters

Post by JacquieWaterfall » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi everyone!

I have looked everywhere for the answer = fairwork australia and through the award for this answer

but does anyone know how much time frame a centre needs to provide staff with rosters ?
for example - do management need to give the rosters out with a months worth instead of a week?

its understandable that children can fluctuate and staff can chop and change, but is there a minimum/maximum amount of time to provide ALL staff with the roster?

Just want clarity please and thank you! :)

Lorina

Re: Rosters

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:27 am

According to the Children's Service Award:
Rostered hours will only be changed after 7 days’ notice has been given, unless by mutual agreement between you and your employer the notice period is waived, shortened or due to an emergency beyond control. In an absence of such notice, overtime will be paid until 7 days have transpired from the date notice was given.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

CAL

Post by CAL » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:49 am

Hi Lorina,
Just a quick question for you in regards to rosters, not sure if I have posted the question in the right place my apologises if I haven't, I am new to the forum. I am working full time 9 hour days, working a nine day fortnight. I have got my roster for next year and I am working 4 closes starting at 9pm, 3 opens starting at 6.30am and 2 normal shifts between 7am and 8.30am. My shift changes every day except for the second week where I do a close on the Thursday and the Friday. It seems quite hard the chopping and changing with the majority of the shifts "extreme." I believe it would be easier for work/life balance if all my shifts were permanently late or early rather than this mix!! Is there any information in the award with regards the variability in the roster. I know that on the Tuesday I do a late finnish 6.00pm and then back at the centre at 6.30am the next day, (Min 12 hours bewteen shifts??) I have looked at everybody's shifts and I definitely have the most opens, closes and variability.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I plan to approach management via email when we all return to work and ask for a change to 1 or 2 shifts. 1 late, 1 early or just 1 late. As the National Employment Standards talk about flexible working arrangements.
Thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:21 pm

The following information may help:

Flexible Working Arrangements

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:25 pm

In the Children's Services Award, also mentions Individual Flexibility Arrangements:

Individual flexibility arrangements

7.1 Despite anything else in this award,an employer and an individual employee may agree to vary the application of the terms of this award relating to any of the following in order to meet the genuine needs of both the employee and the employer:

(a) arrangements for when work is performed;or

(b) overtime rates;or

(c) penalty rates;or

(d) allowances;or

(e) annual leave loading.

7.2 An agreement must be one that is genuinely made by the employer and the individual employee without coercion or duress.

7.3 An agreement may only be made after the individual employee has commenced employment with the employer.

7.4 An employer who wishes to initiate the making of an agreement must:

(a) give the employee a written proposal;and

(b) if the employer is aware that the employee has,or reasonably should be aware that the employee may have,limited understanding of written English,take reasonable steps (including providing a translation in an appropriate language) to ensure that the employee understands the proposal.

7.5 An agreement must result in the employee being better off overall at the time the agreement is made than if the agreement had not been made.

7.6 An agreement must do all of the following:

(a) state the names of the employer and the employee;and

(b) identify the award term,or award terms,the application of which is to be varied;and

(c) set out how the application of the award term,or each award term,is varied;and

(d) set out how the agreement results in the employee being better off overall at the time the agreement is made than if the agreement had not been made;and

(e) state the date the agreement is to start.

7.7 An agreement must be:

(a) in writing;and

(b) signed by the employer and the employee and,if the employee is under 18 years of age,by the employee’s parent or guardian.

7.8 Except as provided in clause 7.7(b),an agreement must not require the approval or consent of a person other than the employer and the employee.

7.9 The employer must keep the agreement as a time and wages record and give a copy to the employee.

Ref: Children's Services Award

Lorina