Educators Working Alone In OSHC

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Bianca08

Educators Working Alone In OSHC

Post by Bianca08 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:30 pm

Hello,

Just a quick question in relation to best practice vs ratios, and how other services manage the below.

In an OSHC service, I believe it is best practice to ensure that there is ALWAYS a minimum of two educator on premise at all times. This is to protect both the children and the educators. However, ratio states that the OSHC ratio is 1:15, does this mean [for budget purposes], child care centre should be operating with one educator on site if there are less than 15 children? I don't believe this should be allowed.
What are you thoughts?
Does any one have any useful links that can assist me with defending the need for TWO educators.

Lorina

Re: Educators Working Alone In OSHC

Post by Lorina » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:02 am

For ratio purposes, in OSHC services legally there only needs to be one educator to care for 15 children. I think it's rather unfair especially since there are a lot of circumstances that could arise which require 2 educators such as you being able to go to the toilet, answering phones while you're supervising, or you being able to talk to the parents during pick ups etc.

What qualification are you?

Maybe you could have an educator with the children and another doing management/admin work during the afternoon shift so there will be another educator with you at all times...

:geek:,
Lorina