coping with the death of a child

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
tme456

coping with the death of a child

Post by tme456 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi all - we are a small centre, from a small town & have just lost one of our toddlers in a tragic car accident. We're at a loss as to how to handle the situation. If anyone has any experience dealing with staff, families & children affected by these tragic circumstances - we'd appreciate your help.

Lorina

Re: coping with the death of a child

Post by Lorina » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:03 pm

I'm extremely saddened to hear that you, your centre and your community are experiencing such a devastating loss. I haven't been in your situation and I can only imagine what you are all going through. At this time, it's important that you all are supportive with one another. With educators, have a staff meeting and just talk about how everyone is coping, let them cry and enable them to grieve in their own way, offer strategies on how to help them talk to children if questions arise etc. You can also offer a counselling for those who just want to talk about what they're feeling. For the centre, offer a special memorial site. Maybe a plaque with an angel dedicated to the toddler in the garden... Have a special service for the educators, the children and families to attend at the centre, just a way that everyone can say a special goodbye... It's so hard for me to advise because I haven't been in such a situation... I'm also providing some more information on what to do in this tragic circumstance:

[attachment=0]Talking+To_Children_About_Death.pdf[/attachment]
Dealing With Loss & Grief
Australian Centre For Grief

My thoughts and my prayers are with you during this difficult time,

- Lorina
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.