Concerned about something at work; need opinions

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Iris2
Participator
Participator

Concerned about something at work; need opinions

Post by Iris2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:44 am

So today something at work happened which kind of disturbed me in particular. I'm reaching the end of my tether with a lot of things in my life and feel I have a short fuse lately. Well last year we were asked by the manager to have separate groups at the OSCH for eating afternoon tea. I agreed with this because felt there was too much crowding and children waiting.
At first we had the older children outside but because of a few who were bullying and refusing to listen to instructions and disrespecting basically everyone, it was decided that the middle group in terms of age should go to the outside eating area instead. Unfortunately, in this group there are a few children who show very extreme behaviour and this age group in general has a greater tendency to roam around. This is also the largest group at the service with over 20 children. Only one educator is allowed by the coordinator/assistant-coordinator to go to this area. This educator is in charge of signing in children on the role, serving children food and supervising. The biggest problem is that while the few children with extreme behavioural tendencies usually require constant attendance during afternoon tea, it usually requires at least one educator to do this alone, because these fe wchildren have a tendency towards conflict with other children, violence, aggression or using various objects in a dangerous way. Apart from that, the educator is always over ratio anyway because there are always more than 20 children.
So today I was the educator instructed to go to this area. I was told to sign children on the role and serve food (specifically I was told by the assistant-coordinator not to allow them to serve themselves). But as soon as the few extreme children arrived, I immediately had to spend about 95% of my time trying to stop dangerous behaviour. I also know that there is a staff member judging my ability and referring to the coordinator the moment they think I have done something wrong. There was 21 children in my area and I was the only educator in this area (as demanded by the assistant-coordinator) so I was six over ratio. I was struggling to finish checking the role because the whole time there was dangerous or unacceptable behaviour. I noticed that one regular girl was with us but couldn't see her name on the role. Generally the coordinator and assistant coordinator don't reply often on the walkie-talkies so I made a mental note to talk to the coordinator about it in person as soon as I get the chance. I finished the role with two absent children, gave the role to the assistant coordinator and she kept telling me I need to notify them sooner, but I just finished the role and really there was no way I could finish it quicker in my current situation. Then the coordinator came down with the role and said, "oh [the girl who wasn't on the role] is here". I said "Oh that's right I wanted to tell you that I couldn't see her on the role". But she said "it's here," turning to another page where the girl's name was handwritten separately. I just didn't see the page behind because usually the names are all on one page. Then the assistant coordinator came down, wanted to talk to me. She said, "did you call a role?" and I said, "yes". And she said "No you didn't, otherwise you would know [X] is here." I said, "I know she was here, I just didn't see her name on the other page. She said, "You didn't bother to look here?!" Then she kept asking if I called the role, not believing me. Then she started asking the children if I called the role. She asked the girl in question if I called her on the role, she said "I think so." I felt really disrespected by this treatment, especially since there was no regard shown to the fact I am over ratio and supervising the children with the most extreme behaviour, all on my own. I knew that it would naturally be unacceptable for an educator to be over ratio in general let alone all the additional expectations and challenges.

During the rest of the day, there were a few other 'issues'. I will also note we have a very new educator who is basically learning the ropes so of course there is some turbulence because of that. The assistant-coordinator criticised our headcount and kept asking us to count again and said in the walkie-talkie something like "I hate to be nasty but these headcounts are driving me crazy. It should not be that hard." It turned out our headcount was right and checked by several staff so don't know what happened there.

That afternoon when I finished, the assistant-coordinator came to me and another staff member and gave us a 'talk'. Explaining we need to improve things. She said that she has many years of experience and qualification and that's why she knows more than us and that it's not me and the other staff member's 'profession'. I think because we both come from non-childcare backgrounds and this our first job in the industry. She also said " buy you are getting payed to do it." I felt offended by this although I know I can't replace her amount of experience, I myself have worked there for a year, which I think should not be undermined. It is my profession because of that. Being made to feel incompetent and that I shouldn't be payed is quite unacceptable especially when I know that I take my job very seriously and I care a lot about the children's experience there and always trying to improve my performance however I can. The other educator she was speaking with also had a reasonable amount of experience and I believe performs as best as she can and according to her training. The other educators also I believe are quite skilled and responsible people. She mentioned the role. I expressed my concerns about the situation. Thankfully she agreed and told me to tell them about the children in question if I have an issue, but in the past when I have done this, she complains. I just feel very frustrated about this and wanted to know others' opinions on this situation.

leenie
Participator
Participator

Re: Concerned about something at work; need opinions

Post by leenie » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:06 am

Hi

I understand your frustration. The afternoon tea situation is tough.

What do the Coordinator/ assistant coordinator do? Not knowing your service or spending time to view what goes on, or your facilities etc, it is hard to gain an overall view.

What number of children do you have? The behavioural side sounds full on. The ratio is too high. If you have been there a year, you are fairly new into the industry, they should be supporting you. It can take 3--5years to get grounded and build a wealth of knowledge, practice etc in oshc, if you come into the industry unqualified and inexperienced. Working with school age children is not easy. Don't be offended but from senior level it can be hard at times having inexperienced staff, so you need to understand that from their perspective. But there is a way to treat staff and support them.

There seems to be a lack of knowledge in oshc's generally for senior staff managing the service and staff. Takes time to understand and work out leadership.

Re the head count situation. What was said to you could have been phrased in a more positive and supporting way.
The role of the qualified experience staff is supporting educators. If they had a concern about the head count then they should have come out and done it themselves. It is easy to miscount with kids everywhere.

Do you as a group sit down and do reflections on practice? What about your educational leader, what do they do?

Can you make time to discuss the avo tea with the manager/coordinator?
Sounds like they shouldn't do it in peer groups but maybe split ages up and the behaviour kids. Redo the groups get the kids to come up with names for their groups and interested why they can't serve avo tea themselves? You have to teach and train kids to do stuff!
At my present service we do the role outside and the kids come up to the role person and get name marked off, we allocate an educator to oversee avo tea, chn serve themselves.

I think you need some professional conversations as a team. The team dynamics affects the outcomes for children. Children will pick up on stressed relationships between educators.

Do you do your own reflection journal? So how would you reflect on these situations-you have been able to share here- reflection is coming up with analysing to produce change or better practice or doing research / looking for knowledge-learning to grow and improve. Are you looking at doing study relating to childcare? Also do you read MTOP-outcomes and the educators guide to MTOP, they are 2 different books?

Take deep breaths, relax and enjoy the weekend and start fresh on Monday. Do what you can do!

leenie

Tell me how it goes.