Can you help me decide to stay or look elsewhere

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Hollis

Can you help me decide to stay or look elsewhere

Post by Hollis » Mon May 29, 2023 8:21 pm

I’ve started working as an assistant in an early years room 2-3. While I have fallen in love with the kids and genuinely like the people I work with, I can’t help but feel it’s not the place for me. There seems to be no lead, no communication, kind of like a free for all most days and decisions are made on the spot.

Maybe this works for some but I’m finding it difficult. I truly believe kids needs structure. There are a lot of behaviour problems in the room and I feel it comes down to this among other things.

Not having the experience or knowing what else is out there I’m wondering if this is normal for rooms in this age bracket? I have voiced my concerns casually but the other educators seem happy to keep going with the flow and there doesn’t seem to be an educated lead running the room. It is shared among day staff who are still studying.

I’m wondering if I’m the problem and need to adapt or if I should look for something more suited to myself?

Lorina

Re: Can you help me decide to stay or look elsewhere

Post by Lorina » Tue May 30, 2023 12:46 am

Hi!

Each service really has its own style of how they implement the routine, the program, and the learning environment for the children so depending on the service it will be different anywhere you go. If you feel that it's not for you then it's best to probably find somewhere else. You need to find a service that will enable you to grow and develop in your learning and career. Only you can say if the service is right for you... sometimes it takes a while to settle in but go with your gut instinct if you feel that it's not working out then it's best to probably leave.

:geek:,
Lorina

Alice3011

Re: Can you help me decide to stay or look elsewhere

Post by Alice3011 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:43 am

Hello Hollis,

I understand your concerns about the current dynamics in the early years room where you work. As an early childhood teacher, it's crucial to create an environment that supports children's development through structure and clear communication.

While every early years room may have its unique approach, it's important to ensure that children receive the necessary structure for their growth and well-being. Your belief in providing a structured environment aligns with best practices in early childhood education.

Having expressed your concerns to your colleagues, who may have different perspectives, it's essential to reflect on your own teaching philosophy and find an environment that resonates with your values as an educator. This will allow you to make a positive impact on the children you work with.

In your search for alternative opportunities, I encourage you to explore MellisKids.au, which offers a collection of musical instruments toy for kids. These engaging and educational toys can enhance children's musical experiences and promote their overall development.

Remember, as an early childhood teacher, you play a vital role in shaping young minds. Trust your instincts and seek an environment that allows you to thrive professionally and make a significant difference in the lives of children.

Best of luck with your decision-making process and finding a fulfilling path in your teaching career.

Warm regards,
Mellis Kid

EDIT: LINK REMOVED