Working & studying

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
22-butterflies

Working & studying

Post by 22-butterflies » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:20 am

Hi everyone,
So, I'm currently studying my Diploma & Cert III in ECH Care & Education. I've decided afterwards, I want to go to Uni and study to be a primary school teacher. My question is, how much time outside of work does being a Lead Educator take up? I'm trying to decide whether to not continue onto the Diploma units and just work as an Assistant Educator while I study, maybe do my Diploma if I decided to come back to childcare. I don't want to go through the stress of a Diploma: I'm a very shy person and while I don't struggle with the job, some of the assignments which involve bothering parents - especially without actually being employed - stress me out! If I won't be using the qualification, it seems unnecessary stress.
I hope that made sense, I'm just trying to figure out the best course of action and looking for opinions on those in these sorts of positions.
Thanks!

Lorina

Re: Working & studying

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:53 am

Ok so you're currently studying your Diploma and you wish to be a primary school teacher instead. You can use your Diploma towards your uni units if you have completed the Diploma qualification and depending if you do a course that enables you to do Early Childhood Teaching as well as work as a Primary School Teacher. At some centres, you are able to complete your assignments while working full-time (although you will need to confirm this with the director). Being an assistant educator, you may not be responsible for the room and the documentation, however, you will still need to contribute to it. Being a lead educator is a lot more responsibility and you should not be given work outside work hours unless you're paid to do it, in my opinion...

I would suggest you finish your Diploma qualification and then continue on to uni to do your teaching degree and in the meantime work in a centre to gain confidence...

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

22-butterflies

Post by 22-butterflies » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks for the insight Lorina, I've heard a lot about lead educators doing documentation at home - perhaps just a short coming of my centre, I'm not terribly sure.
I wondered if you might be able to answer another question for me; is it better/easier to do the diploma while working at a centre? My town is very short on jobs currently so I'm still on placement, hoping (fingers crossed!) once I complete the cert III units, I'll get work.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:58 pm

Yes, I believe it is easier doing the Diploma while working because it helps you a lot with your assignments and with your hands on experience you gain while working you will be able to put your theory into practice. You also got the support of the staff when you get stuck on a question and to assist you with your understanding. So, I think it goes hand in hand working and studying!

I hope you're able to find something soon!

:geek:,
Lorina