Qualification assessment

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
kdUK

Qualification assessment

Post by kdUK » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi all, i hope that I will be able to get some advice from you all :)

I currently work as a nanny but I come from a centre background with nearly 10 years experience in the UK. Although I am hoping to return to a centre soon, I am currently having my UK qualifications assessed which I understand I would need to have to work in a centre.
I have recently found out that my current position will be coming to an end soon & although I have enjoyed my time as a nanny I am keen to return to working in a centre rather than continuing as a nanny. I don't believe that my qualification assessment will have been completed by then so I am unsure on how to move forward. I have been informed that my lowest level qualification is equivalent to a diploma in children's services. I believe my higher level qualification may be equivalent to an advanced diploma although this hasn't been confirmed as yet.

Am I correct in thinking that I will need these qualifications to be able to work within a centre or is there a way of me working unqualified or in a 'working towards' capacity? Has anyone here been in the same situation?

Any advice or guidance you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

K

Lorina

Re: Qualification assessment

Post by Lorina » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi K,

You are able to work in a centre as an unqualified worker while you wait for your qualification to get assessed however the position you are typically going to receive is going to be for that of an unqualified worker, meaning less wages and less responsibility. If however, you wait for your qualification to be assessed to find out what minimum qualification you have gained then when you're searching for a job you can go for a higher position such as a room leader which entitles you to more wages and more responsibility.

The thing is, if you gain a job as an unqualified worker then let's just say in a months time you receive your qualification assessment and it's equivalent to a Diploma of Children's Services your employer may not be able to give you a position such as a room leader to fulfill your qualification, since you are already working as an unqualified worker.

Have you thought about working casually for a childcare agency until you receive your qualification assessment then you can find a full time job?

:geek:,
L.A

kdUK

Post by kdUK » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:46 pm

Hi L.A,

Thanks for your reply. I notice it says that you're on bed rest for the next 2-3 weeks so I really appreciate your reply! Hope you're doing ok.

I don't actually mind working unqualified as I think it gives you time to observe a lot & get to know staff/children & parents without being bogged down with paperwork etc. However, I believe that it is going to be quite hard to find a centre that would be willing to take on an unqualified staff member. I have contacted some agencies about the possibility of getting casual work but haven't heard much back.

Also, do you know if an associate degree is recognised? I've been doing some research & I think my foundation degree from the UK may turn out to be that. I have noted that a few universities over here offer associate degrees in early years but can't find out much else!

Thanks again,

K

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:42 pm

I would probably just wait until your quals are assessed to be honest as it is not worth going in a centre as unqualified staff and then finding out you are qualified and having no positions open to you.
Maybe do some volunteer work in a few centres to get a feel for it and scoping employment ops.

I am not sure why you cannot find work as unqualified as most centres I have worked in have always had a few as means they have staff for shockingly low pay!

About your degree, again I would send off or contact some Universities to see what it is equiv to here in Australia. As far as I have seen during my working experience here in Oz its either you have a 4 yr degree or none at all (in childcare that is).

Its all very confusing and the only way to know for sure is just send off all your quals and just get them assessed as if employers have any doubt they will ask you to do that anyway.

kdUK

Post by kdUK » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi Fefe,

Thanks for this. I think I would have to agree with, although I hope they come through sooner rather than later as my job will end in March & I really don't want to do nannying again just for a couple of months! I have tried to set up some volunteering & I have had a few enthusiastic responses but when I actually try & book a date I don't hear back from them! I have arranged to visit 3 centres next week to have a chat with them about curriculum & planning so Ill see then.

I have contacted ACECQA & they have said that I can work unqualified, however every single centre & agency I have contact said that they require a minimum of cert 3. Maybe I'm just not contacting the right places!

I have already sent them off so I'm hoping to hear back soon as I would like to start the ball rolling in finding a job.
Thanks again guys!