Need help- starting job as childcare teacher

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 8:27 pm

Need help- starting job as childcare teacher

Post by Gykul » Fri May 31, 2019 10:19 pm

Need help in starting job in Australia...

I am BE ( engineer) and have 6 years of experience in IT industry...
5 years back I quit my job for family reason.
Then I decided to switch my career to early childhood education. I completed PG Diploma in teachers training recently and now working as a preprimary teacher.

We have got Australian PR and planning to move there by end of the year.

I want to know what are my options to work in Australia?

I read that to become early childhood teacher a 4 years university course in same field is required, which I don't does that mean I can't work in this field?

So what can I work as there with my current qualification? Will my diploma be considered there or I need to do more courses?
Please guide....

I hope I have put my thoughts clearly...feel free to ask if need more info..


Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:30 pm

Re: Need help- starting job as childcare teacher

Post by Butterflyblue » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:54 am

Hi Gykul,
Are you excited for the move?
which area will be you be going to?
Depending on where you go you can find out what qualification you need to teach
There are 5 main types of teaching; early childhood, primary, secondary, special education and tertiary and the state/territory authority can tell you exactly what you need for each.

The good news is overseas qualifications can be taken into account so you may:
- Not have to study at all or
- Be awarded advanced standing which means prior learning is recognised and you can fast track through a course

To find out more information specific to your circumstances you can:

Look at the individual Australian states & territories authority depending on where you want to live and work

Apply for an Overseas Qualifications Unit assessment if your eligible

If you like you can also look at a migration consultant and other paid services but those things are extremely expensive and unnecessary because the authorities can answer you questions via their websites, live chat etc for free!

They may charge you fees to process claims etc and you may have to undergo English tests.
We also have mandatory police checks and working with children checks for educators.

You need to contact them directly to find out the details and costs involved.
I can give you the website links if you like
Hope this is helpful šŸ˜Š

User avatar
Posts: 12944
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:36 am

Re: Need help- starting job as childcare teacher

Post by Lorina » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:18 pm

If you are wanting to work as an ECT ( degree qualified teacher) then yes you will need to complete a university degree to do so. However, you can still work in childcare as an Assistant Educator or as a Room Leader. To work as an Educator you need to have a minimum cert 3 qualification.

Since you have completed a diploma of teaching overseas, you can get it assessed to see if you are able to work in the childcare industry or if you need to re-study and complete another course.

You can find more information here: Qualifcation Assessment

Hope this helps!


Post Reply