Job title and pay as educator but doing Room leader work

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
sam.dee

Job title and pay as educator but doing Room leader work

Post by sam.dee » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:19 pm

Hi,

I started working at a Childcare service recently. My job title is educator and getting paid for that position. But I’m by myself in the room and doing program planning, program evaluation, learning journeys, all the documentation etc. I’m not even getting the 2 hours planning time per week. I’m getting some 15 mins, 30 mins time to time for planning.
I’m in the Kinder room (3 - 5 year olds) said they are looking for a Kinder teacher.
Please help me in this, is this fair?
TIA

Lorina

Re: Job title and pay as educator but doing Room leader work

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:52 pm

Hi!

You mentioned you are being paid as an Educator, so can I confirm is it level 3.1?

What qualifications do you have? If you only have a cert 3 qualification and you have the responsibilities as a room leader then you should be paid as a Level 4.1A. This level is for an Educator that is not qualified to do the job role yet does the job role anyway.

If you have a Diploma Qualification, you should be on Level 4.1 - which is a room leader role.

Please let me know what level you are on so I can assist you.

:geek:,
Lorina

sam.dee

Post by sam.dee » Sat May 07, 2022 12:21 pm

I’m currently doing my last placement of Diploma. They are paying me for level 2. They said I have to do the above duties only until they find an ECT. But it has been too long now.
Thanks Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat May 07, 2022 9:49 pm

Since you are basically the room leader - you should be paid at Level 4A. This is for an educator who has the tasks and responsibilities of a room leader however not qualified with a Diploma as yet. You should be paid as a Level 4A.1. Paying you as a Level 2 is the wrong Level. You need to be paid as a Level 4A.1.

Levels For CHildcare Wages

Lorina

sam.dee

Post by sam.dee » Sun May 08, 2022 2:51 pm

Thank you Lorina,

Can you please also suggest what I should do?
Should I talk to the manager about this?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun May 08, 2022 3:09 pm

Yes definitely - you should have a chat about it with the manager - let then know that you were reading through the Children's Services Award and based your tasks and responsibilities you should be paid at a Level 4A.1. Yes definitely - you should have a chat about it with the manager - let then know that you were reading through the Children's Services Award and based your tasks and responsibilities you should be paid at a Level 4A.1.

See what they see and their response. Hopefully there shouldn't be any issues with changing your level.

Lorina