Completing Qualification While Overseas

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
tweedheads

Completing Qualification While Overseas

Post by tweedheads » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:13 pm

Good morning all,
I have been debating on where to study my diploma, I am living over seas so studying online for me is the only way to go.
I have been researching course providers for some time now
And I need you input on which is the best
Inspire Education
Open Colleges
and Atkinson training
thanks
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Completing Qualification While Overseas

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:08 am

Since you will be studying overseas will you also be completing your work placement while overseas as well? In that case, you may need to find a centre that can collaborate with your course provider on your practicals. It's probably best to let the proviers know upfront you're studying from overseas and how you will manage to complete practical tasks...

:geek:,
L.A

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Completing Qualification While Overseas

Post by Macoola » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:21 am

Hi Tweedheads

I just saw this post and had to reply. I was in the exact same position as you 2 years ago. I had just completed my Cert 3 and wanted to start my Diploma but was moving overseas. I enquired at many providers and eventually chose one. They said my work placement had to be done at a Australian Certified centre and the country where I was going didn't have this. But they assured me that I could do all the theory first then do the prac when I came back to Australia. This was not the case, every unit had practical components. There were hardly and units I could complete 100%. When I contacted them about this they just said you will have to leave it till you come back. This meant I had all these half finished units that I had to go back to, when I had forgotten everything I learnt on that topic. Contacting teachers was also a nightmare. They wouldn't reply to my emails for weeks and all the Skype calls never worked. I also had 6 changes of teachers in 1 year and between all the changes in teachers they lost 4 of my assessments.

Sorry to rant but my experience of doing my Diploma overseas was not good. It may just be the college I used was a bad one but still I will never study via correspondence again, let alone while overseas.

My recommendation to you is, depending how long your are overseas for, is to wait until you come back. Or if your decide not to look for all the reviews on a provider/ college you can find, don't just settle for the cheapest or first one you find.

Hope this helps

Macoola