Difference between a material and a resource?

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
gnunn7
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Difference between a material and a resource?

Post by gnunn7 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:11 pm

Hi,
I have been looking for a clear definition for a material and a resource. We have to provide an example of both but with no clear distinction between them. Can you help?

Lorina

Re: Difference between a material and a resource?

Post by Lorina » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:43 pm

What a question - never thought about it until now... I think:

Materials are tangible objects that can be combined, moved, lined up, taken apart and put back together again.

Resources can be something you use to achieve an objective - it can be money, materials, staff, articles, information books etc used by a person or an organisation to function effectively.

Hope this makes sense!

:geek:,
Lorina

aj22

Post by aj22 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:21 pm

Hi, I need help but I don't know how to post

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:56 pm

aj22 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:21 pm
You can post your question here

Lorina

aj22

Post by aj22 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:35 pm

Lorina wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:56 pm
aj22 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:21 pm
You can post your question here

Lorina
I am struggling with some questions and i was wondering if you could help me out a little

A parent of a student approaches you. They are upset that their child is being taught to read and write at the same time. They think this must be confusing for students and that the child should first be taught to read and then taught to write. What would you tell them? (100-200 words)
I would start by saying I appreciate that they are coming forward to speak with someone about their concerns but I do believe that if they have any questions or queries about the way the students are being taught and in what order they are being taught things they should speak to the classroom teacher as they are the one teaching the students and know more about the potential concerns the parent may have about the students learning, the classroom teacher can then explain to the concerned parent why they believe the it is best for the student to be taught the way they are being taught.

A parent tells you they want to help their child to become a better reader. What skills would you tell the parent to work on with their child? (75-100 words)
If a parent asked me how to help their child become a better reader I would recommend them to the classroom teacher so they can explain that to read with their child at home would help. Reading a book to their child or having their child read to them, reading to their child will help teach their child more words and help them comprehend language. Having their child read to them can show the parent how well their child reads and they can then help their child with words they get stuck on or find difficult.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:09 pm

Yes, you're on the right track with your response.

With your first response - you can also include some examples of what the children are doing in class such as recognising and sounding out letters that they are writing in order to grasp the letter formations and the sounds each letter makes.

In regards to the second scenario - yes you can also talk to the parents about phonics, sound out each letter in the word and put the letters together to form words.

Hope this helps!

Lorina