Using Language Free From Bias

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
seep
Contributor
Contributor

Using Language Free From Bias

Post by seep » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:30 pm

Q-how can an educator use language that is free from bias? list some comments in the below table listing bias and non bias communication?

my ans-

Q8-Bias comments

“I don't want to play with her. She walks funny.”
“Alex talks funny
“Girls aren’t strong.”
You can’t play with us, only light-skinned kids can.”
“Boys can’t play house.”

non bias comments

“Alex is learning to speak English. That is why he sounds a little different than you.
“His skin color doesn’t matter. We are all the same underneath.”
“She is using a wheelchair because her leges are not strong enough to walk. The wheelchair helps her move around.
“Miyoko can’t help how she speaks. Let’s not say anything about it.”
“Jamal’s skin is dark brown because his mom and dad have dark brown skin

Lorina

Re: Using Language Free From Bias

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:49 am

Teaching Young Children To Resist Bias

I know you used this resource but you chose the inappropriate biased comments. You need to choose the ones underneath these "Appropriate"....

:geek:,
Lorina

MJ1991
Participator
Participator

Re: Using Language Free From Bias

Post by MJ1991 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:22 pm

Hi,

I read your question and answer and just want to make sure you're on the right track since you didn't include in your post what unit this question is from, I'm working on the exact same question at the moment in my assignment and I'm currently working on the 'Use information about children to inform practice' unit, I assume since yours is the exact same question it's in the same unit so I'd just like to remind you that the unit is based on collecting and recording information for observations and learning stories and the questions asks "How can an educator use language that is free from bias?" therefore the question is asking you to list bias and non bias comments that and educator should use (non-bias) and shouldn't use (bias) when recording information about children, so it's more about what we say in our observations than what the children could say.

Hope this helps. :thumbup: