unicef, cultural diversity

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Jaspreetatri
Helper
Helper

unicef, cultural diversity

Post by Jaspreetatri » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:01 am

Hi, iam stuck with this question, don't know what to write in it, please help.

Cultural Diverse Experience Plan As per activity requirements, you need to implement this experience with the use of the UNICEF document (photos).  4th attachment
·         View and become familiar with the reading ‘Unicef Play around the World’. Select all or part of the document and present it to a group of 4 - 6 children (aged 2 - 6 years) as a table activity.
·         In your discussions with the children, focus on the concepts of ‘similarities’, ‘differences’, and ‘cultural diversity
·         Present children with materials that will enable them to represent their understandings of cultural diversity, similarities and differences.

Create a display of the children’s work and their ideas which you have recorded. The display needs to include a summary of the experience. Provide a photo of your display with your workbook submission.

Help me please.
Thanks

Lorina

Re: unicef, cultural diversity

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:52 pm

You need to come up with an activity... if you search " similarities and differences" activities for children you can find many...

Choose one... answer the questions and I'll help...

:geek:,
Lorina

Jaspreetatri
Helper
Helper

Post by Jaspreetatri » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:00 am

Cultural clothing puzzle (includes 5 photographic puzzles depicting children in multicultural clothing).
or
Children around the world floor puzzle (wonderfully illustrated 48-piece circular cardboard floor puzzle features twelve children from around the world dressed in traditional ethnic clothing. It introduces children to various cultures and helps them notice differences and similarities)

How this?

Jaspreetatri
Helper
Helper

Post by Jaspreetatri » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:38 am

waiting to hear from you.

Thanks

Jaspreetatri
Helper
Helper

Post by Jaspreetatri » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:59 am

This was one of the activities that I did , I hope its related to the topic.

Goal: (how will this experience support the group’s development/learning? What do you want to achieve?)
Ans- To make learn to make match pieces of puzzles according to the dress code and skin colour in the picture.
To make them learn about the children around the world, what they wear and how do they look like.
To make them feel connected to rest of the children of the world.

Linking to EYLF Outcome/s: Tick one relevant outcome
1 LO2: Children are connected with and contribute to their world

Q. Performance Indicator/s: (What will you see and hear to demonstrate achievement of the goal?)
A. They will learn about the dress code of children around the world
Will communicate to ask questions and share their thoughts with educators.
Might build an interest in solving puzzle games and doing other cultural related activities.

Q. Rationale: (How does the experience support the interests/learning/goals of the child/ren?)
A. Children displayed a sense of curiosity during the other events celebrated at the centre related to different cultures. They appear to be developing an understanding of many cultural related activities and willing to learn more. This activity will help them to learn more about the dressing that children wear according to their culture and tradition.

(List the resources and materials you will use for the experience)
A. Cardboard puzzle (features twelve children from around the world dressed in traditional ethnic clothing)

Q. Resources: Transition Strategy
(How will you gather children to the experience? How will you smoothly transition the children to the next experience/routine at the conclusion?)
A. Show them puzzle game putting on the table, tell them its puzzle game which has children around the world dressed in traditional ethic clothing.
At conclusion of experience ask them to put everything back in the puzzle box and tell them that there are more games related to this that we would next time and if they are more interested in this puzzle, they can play later again.

Description of Experience/Procedure:
(List/describe how you intend to implement the experience with the children from beginning (set up) to end. How will it be set up? What will the children be required to do?)
Ans. Following the transition, will sit with them, ask them what they can guess with all different colours and shapes and ask them to solve it by putting the pieces of puzzle game together, keeping in mind the dress code children are wearing and their colours.
Also will show them the solved puzzle picture on the box to give them idea about how they have to put the pieces together.
Allow them time to explore independently.
Give them clues whenever needed.

q. Teaching Strategies/Adult’s Role:
(What role will you play in the experience? How will you facilitate children’s engagement, learning and development? E.g. initiating, modeling, prompting, coaching, encouraging, playing alongside, giving directions, asking questions, extending, demonstrating, one to one interactions.)
Will encourage them to solve the puzzle.
Will encourage them to learn more about different outfits children wear around the world.
Will ask questions about their likes and dislikes in clothing while they are putting pieces together..
Will give them directions while playing cultural puzzle games.

Workplace Assessment Task 002: Culturally Diverse Experience Evaluation and Reflection
Age of Children: 4-5 Experience: Student Name: Jaspreet Kaur Atri
Evaluation of Experience:
(How did the experience meet the goals and outcomes? Was it appropriate or not, did it go well or not so well and why? How did the children respond? What did they gain from the experience? How successful was the implementation of the experience – including set up, grouping, resources, environment, timing, transitions etc.?)

Children explored it, learned about the culture diversity and dressing according to the culture and traditions. They were very excited while solving the puzzles and looking at each other that who has done which part and helping each other to solve it too. During the activity they were sharing their experience and interest regarding the dress codes according to their culture, what they wear at home and during some occasions. They were very involved in this and were asking questions like: why the children around the world wear so much different clothes? They were given diversity related puzzles to give them understanding of different culture and the clothes according to that. I asked them to figure out the similarities and differences from the pictures and they came up with very good answers like: they said that these children has 2 eyes, nose, ears and other body parts just like us but the differences are only dress code and colour. Then educator explained them that no matter how different colour or dressing code one has, we all are the part of this world and we must respect and love everyone and their tradition. Children agreed with this and enjoyed the activity a lot. Overall the activity was successful to let them aware about the cultural diversity and to respect every culture and their dressing sense.

Q. Future Planning:
(What next? How will you extend, revisit or build upon this experience, future teacher strategies, further develop goals? Will you vary the experience or work on a new skill/interest? How will you extend/encourage/challenge children’s ideas/experiences/interests/skills/development/abilities? What provisions/provocations can you set up to further the child/group learning and development?)

Ans. Next activity could be solving the puzzle game related to different kind of food that we all eat and also we could plan activity like: “Let your Student be the Experts” – encourage your children to teach you and rest of the class.

Q. Reflection on your Role:
(Reflect on and evaluate your teaching performance – strategies, learning, development and management. Think about your interactions with the children; how you supported them, how you managed the experience; what you did well; what you could work on for your own professional development; anything you might change; any unexpected outcomes/problems etc. Also think about tone of voice, supervision, awareness of safety issues etc.)
A. Overall the experience was very positive and children learn a lot about each other’s culture and dressings. I supported them by respecting their ways of dressing and told them it doesn’t matter what they wear but from inside they all are same, they all can do what other can do so do not differentiate between anyone by looking at their clothes or colour or listening to different language. I need to work on gathering more information about some more culture diversity related activity and i know this will come with experience and time.
Professional Goal:
(What can you work on to improve your skill/s?)
Need to know more about few cultural diversity related activities by looking at books related to that or surfing through internet.

Please tell me if Iam on right track

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:38 pm

Yes, awesome! :thumbup:

:geek:,
Lorina

Jaspreetatri
Helper
Helper

Post by Jaspreetatri » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi Lorina Can you help me with this one please, is it the topic of "Culturally Diverse Community
Cultural Experience Plan".
My assessor told me that its EYLF link is not relevant and all areas need to be revised. She wrote that when you plan an activity, it should have some hand on activity for children so they can enjoy learning.
Please help me with this and guide me where I should make changes.

Goal: (how will this experience support the group’s development/learning? What do you want to achieve?)
ans. To make them learn about different festivals and events in different culture along with variety of dishes.
To give them idea that how important role it plays in most of the occasions according to culture.
Linking to EYLF Outcome/s: Tick one relevant outcome
1 LO1: Children have a strong sense of identity

Performance Indicator/s: (What will you see and hear to demonstrate achievement of the goal?)
ans. They will learn about different variety of festivals and events.
They will talk about it to the parents and educators.
Will come to know its importance.

Rationale: (How does the experience support the interests/learning/goals of the child/\ren?)
ans. They displayed sense of curiosity while talking about different types of festivals that everyone celebrates according to their own religion and the dishes they cook during those events. Was developing understanding in choices of food and festivals according to the culture when discussed earlier. They were discussing with each other and educators, which is helping in their language development. They will be educated to know that

Resources: Transition Strategy:
(List the resources and materials you will use for the experience)
ans. Plates, small bowls, serving spoons, tongs, spoons and cooked dishes.

Q. (How will you gather children to the experience? How will you smoothly transition the children to the next experience/routine at the conclusion?)
Ans. By showing them the cooked food on the table, point towards that side by saying that now it’s time for another activity so pack up all these stuff and gathered around the table. It made transit easy as they were curious to see so much variety of food on the table.
After this activity i will tell them that now its time to put your plates and cutlery away, help in clean the table and sit on the mat and would talk about what they learned today from this.

Description of Experience/Procedure:
(List/describe how you intend to implement the experience with the children from beginning (set up) to end. How will it be set up? What will the children be required to do?)
Ans. Following the transit sit with them around the table.
Introduce them with the varieties of food and will let them know about the festival of “Dharma Day”.
They will be required to let everyone know about the festival they are aware of and the one they celebrate at home and also their favourite dish.
Q. Pedagogical Practices (Teaching Strategies/Adult’s Role)
(What role will you play in the experience? How will you facilitate children’s engagement, learning and development? E.g. initiating, modeling, prompting, coaching, encouraging, playing alongside, giving directions, asking questions, extending, demonstrating, one to one interactions.)
Ans. By engaging with children in the activity, asking questions, will encourage them to wider their thinking about variety of religious festivals and events and also the food that represent every religion by one to one interactions.
Initiating conversation and respond to them by reinforcing, questioning.

Workplace Assessment Task 001: Culturally Diverse Community
Cultural Experiences Evaluation and Reflection
Age of Children: 4-5 Experience: Celebrating Dharma Day festival Student Name: Jaspreet Kaur Atri
Q. Evaluation of Experience:
(How did the experience meet the goals and outcomes? Was it appropriate or not, did it go well or not so well and why? How did the children respond? What did they gain from the experience? How successful was the implementation of the experience – including set up, grouping, resources, environment, timing, transitions etc.?)

Ans. We asked the parents to cook one of the dishes at home according to their culture as we were celebrating “Dharma day” at the centre. In this festival the food offering and sharing during dharma day reminds everyone of the kindness of others. So few parents agreed to cook food and take it to the centre but few others were not able to contribute due to their work or personal commitments. The idea was to bring different kinds of dishes which are famous in their respective cultures. Everyone was surprised with the variety and a huge number of yummy dishes served on the table, thanks to the parents who contributed. The kids were not only happy to see different type of food but they were quite curious as well. The children were coming with different type of questions such as what food is it, what it’s made up of and we loved the question when they asked their final and lovely question “ Can we have it more”? The whole experience was amazing as well as learning as kids tasted different dishes, knowing different cultures. While serving food we kept in our mind the dietary requirements of children. The permission was acquired from all the parents if their children are allowed to have different kinds of food which was cooked in home not in the Centre.

Q. Future Planning:
(What next? How will you extend, revisit or build upon this experience, future teacher strategies, further develop goals? Will you vary the experience or work on a new skill/interest? How will you extend/encourage/challenge children’s ideas/experiences/interests/skills/development/abilities? What provisions/provocations can you set up to further the child/group learning and development?)

Ans. Next time we will discuss about other festivals and events of different culture and would organise something to celebrate those events or festivals in centre so that children would gather knowledge about them as well which will help in expanding their knowledge about culture and festivals.

Q. Reflection on your Role:
(Reflect on and evaluate your teaching performance – strategies, learning, development and management. Think about your interactions with the children; how you supported them, how you managed the experience; what you did well; what you could work on for your own professional development; anything you might change; any unexpected outcomes/problems etc. Also think about tone of voice, supervision, awareness of safety issues etc.)
Ans. Overall i felt positive about the experience and the choice of activity we did today. The experience was helpful in making children learn about the festivals and food of different culture. I explained the importance of festival to them. Children did really well in this task. I was responsive to them throughout the experience which engaged their attention and supported their interest to participate in the event. I allowed them time to look at the variety of dishes and were answering their questions very calmly, politely and with full interest.

Q. Professional Goal:
(What can you work on to improve your skill/s?)
Will learn more about different events and festivals that represents different culture and religions. I am aware that these things comes with experience and gathering information by talking to different people but i will try as my level best to improve my skills in this.