Mothers Helper

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
ozzie54

Mothers Helper

Post by ozzie54 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:37 am

Hi Lorina

I have been employed part time by a family who run their own business as a mothers helper I have a Diploma Early Childhood Education and Care. Mum supposedly works from home in between attending pilates cafe coffee stints shopping massages catching up with friends etc

I am on jobkeeper and my employer has me on the guidelines and paid according to the childcare award and tells me that's how it goes for a carer though I do not understand why I cannot just be classed as just another employee of theirs, well that's another story

My question is on the 12th July the Government announced that they were ceasing free childcare does my role come under this category as my employer is still claiming me under jobkeeper. I understand that my employer may be just as confused about it all as well, don't get me wrong they are great bosses

I feel in this situation you cant have it both ways and my employer is receiving free babysitting still as jobkeeper is reimbursed by the gov. and I am still losing leave entitlements i.e lost a days A/L as my car broke down and I had no way of getting to work as there is very slow public transport where I live by the time I would have got to work it would be time to come home if you know what am saying

I fully understand that I am still earning an income and still have a job appreciate it though fairs fair this is a toll on the financial crisis Australia has at the moment 1 -100 + even more that may be in the same situation as me may help ease this crisis I know may only be a drop in the bucket though every little bit helps

Should I mention to my employer that the free childcare has ceased seeings how they class me as a carer/childcare worker
Or should I mention to the governing bodies that are dealing with these situations

Your opinion on this matter would be appreciated

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Mothers Helper

Post by Butterflyblue » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:19 pm

ozzie54 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:37 am
Hi Lorina

I have been employed part time by a family who run their own business as a mothers helper I have a Diploma Early Childhood Education and Care. Mum supposedly works from home in between attending pilates cafe coffee stints shopping massages catching up with friends etc

I am on jobkeeper and my employer has me on the guidelines and paid according to the childcare award and tells me that's how it goes for a carer though I do not understand why I cannot just be classed as just another employee of theirs, well that's another story

My question is on the 12th July the Government announced that they were ceasing free childcare does my role come under this category as my employer is still claiming me under jobkeeper. I understand that my employer may be just as confused about it all as well, don't get me wrong they are great bosses

I feel in this situation you cant have it both ways and my employer is receiving free babysitting still as jobkeeper is reimbursed by the gov. and I am still losing leave entitlements i.e lost a days A/L as my car broke down and I had no way of getting to work as there is very slow public transport where I live by the time I would have got to work it would be time to come home if you know what am saying

I fully understand that I am still earning an income and still have a job appreciate it though fairs fair this is a toll on the financial crisis Australia has at the moment 1 -100 + even more that may be in the same situation as me may help ease this crisis I know may only be a drop in the bucket though every little bit helps

Should I mention to my employer that the free childcare has ceased seeings how they class me as a carer/childcare worker
Or should I mention to the governing bodies that are dealing with these situations

Your opinion on this matter would be appreciated
Hi ozzie54

JobKeeper ceased on 20 July 2020 for employees of a CCS approved provider operating a child care service.

Nannies, babysitters and au pairs do not operate under CCS as they are not an approved childcare service type so I'm not entirely clear on how free chidcare was offered here.

I'm not sure which category you fall into and regardless of advice from your employer, myself, Lorina or others you are best off checking with an accountant your eligibility for jobkeeper payments.
Alternatively you can contact the ATO directly to clarify.

Did the family claim child care subsidy before, how did they pay you?
Could it be possible your employer has mistakenly claimed job keeper for you?
Did you find this work through an agency that can assist and provide support?
Unless your employer has an approved chidcare service you have been claiming jobkeeper via a different method i.e not as a chidcare worker to the best of my knowledge.

If you are an employee of a childcare service then you cannot claim jobkeeper any longer - if you believe you are still eligible check information provided by the ATO and DESE.

It's difficult to say without knowing all the details but I would confirm with your employer exactly what they have claimed regarding job keeper ASAP and yes free childcare ended on the 12th July for the ECEC sector. Something doesn't sound quite right here...

Put some links below for reference

Hope this helps, please let us know how you get on 😊

https://www.dese.gov.au/covid-19/childc ... ldcare-faq

https://www.ato.gov.au/general/jobkeepe ... employees/