HLTWHS001 - Scenario: Using Extension Cord & Power Board

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Sandeep
Participator
Participator

HLTWHS001 - Scenario: Using Extension Cord & Power Board

Post by Sandeep » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:40 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: HLTWHS001
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Write how you might support colleagues to work safely and follow safe work practices in the scenario below:

One of the carers is doing a music activity with the children and has used an extension cord and power board to position the CD player on the other side of the room.

Q- what you would say?
Q- Additional information you could provide?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Ans-I would say him"You can bring CD player here near the electricity board"
Ans- Children may trip over the extension cord, so it can be possible hazard.

Description and Message:
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: HLTWHS001 - Scenario: Using Extension Cord & Power Board

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:34 am

Yeah, I'd say the same...

Here is some additional info:

Child safety

Electrical cords frequently injure children. Here are some suggestions to help keep your children safe:

If a cord doesn't have safety closures, cover unused outlets with electrical tape or plastic caps to prevent a child from coming in contact with the live circuit, in addition to covering empty electrical outlets with protective plastic caps.
Toddlers have been known to strangle themselves in loose cords and to be seriously burned or electrocuted from chewing on cords. Keep children away from loose electrical cords.
Electric appliances offer convenience and entertainment. Be sure you can enjoy them for a long time by being careful with extension cords.

Ref: Extension Cord Safety

:geek:,
L.A

Kamalpreet

Post by Kamalpreet » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:09 pm

In your childcare facility, the children are outside, playing. As you are cleaning up books and toys, you notice that the electrical cord to the radio is sparking at the power point.

1. With the electrical hazard, should you leave the power turned on? If it isn’t safe for you to turn off the power at the power point, where could you turn it off?

At that moment, the children return inside and start running around and your attention is diverted from the sparks. A child calls out ‘fire’ and you see the sparks have set fire to a piece of paper.
You remember from your training that there is some kind of paperwork which describes what you should do in such an emergency.

2. What would such paperwork be called in your facility? A policy? A procedure? A risk assessment?
You decide that you cannot safely put out the fire and decide to evacuate the whole facility.

3. What is the diagram called which tells you the layout of the whole facility and where people should be evacuated to?

4. How will you inform other people in the facility of the emergency and the need to evacuate?
The Plan says that the person at the front desk should call emergency services but is not there.

5. Who can call the emergency services?

You have safely evacuated the children and adults to the evacuation point.
6. How should you check that all of the people in the facility have been evacuated?
Little Bobby Brown from one of the other rooms isn’t there. The last time someone saw him, he was reaching down to take a teddy bear with him from the room just as everyone started moving towards the door.

7. Should it be someone’s role in the Plan to double check that the rooms have been fully cleared? In what way do you think they could have checked?

It’s okay, Bobby pops out from behind the bushes and yells ‘surprise’. Everyone is safe!

The Fire Brigade arrives and puts out the fire.
When is it okay to return to the facility?

Case Study 2

The students are req2uired to do the following tasks:
Look at this website: http://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/ (the Victorian WorkCover Authority [VWA])
In the search bar, enter the keyword ‘hotspots’ and click ‘search’, look for your industry and click on it.

The red dots indicate the percentages of injuries in your industry.

1. What is your industry or intended industry?

2. Is psychological system on of the injury hotspots for you industry? What is the percentage? If you were feeling psychological effects from your work, to whom should you report this in your workplace?

3. What is the percentage for back injuries in your industry?

4. Click on the red % button for ‘back’. What are the hazards the VWA have identified for back injuries?

5. Click on the down arrow next to Hazard 1. List the solutions it suggests for this hazard.

6. The VWA have also given Relevant Information for this hazard. List this information.

7. With these potential hazards, to whom should you report them in your workplace?

8. What type of process is followed in the workplace to identify hazards and assess risks?

9. Can these risks be used to help develop workplace procedures? If so, what benefits can you see in this?

Please send me the answer

Kamalpreet

Post by Kamalpreet » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:36 pm

Create two (2) checklists that could be used in an early childhood education and care service to ensure general housekeeping tasks are completed on a regular basis so that there is less likelihood of incidents, injuries and near misses.
You may select any two (2) of the following areas, rooms or spaces to create the housekeeping checklists for:
• A play room
• Garden
• Outdoor play space
• Children’s toilet
• Office area and/or staff room
• Kitchen
Each checklist must:
• Clearly identify the area, room or space that the checklist relates to.
• List what educators and staff are checking for.
• Allow for details such as the date the check has occurred and who has completed the check.
You may like to format it similar to this style, or choose your own:
[BLANK] Child Care Centre
Daily Health and Safety Checklist
Place checked: Foyer Checked By:
Items to be checked
(tick if in compliance) Mon
01/01/2001 Tue
02/01/2001 Wed
03/01/2001 Thu
04/01/2001 Fri
05/01/2001
Door lock is securely bolted to door
Self-closing mechanism works
Door locks on being closed
No items are stored in foyer
Floor surfaces have been cleaned

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:31 am

You have to give me something to work with here - you cant just post questions without answers or attempts. I'm happy to help but I'm not doing assignments for you, this is not the intention of this forum. Tell me what you need help with specifically/ answer questions and I will look over them for you.. there is no point posting so many questions because it's not my job to answer them I'm here to guide you...

Thanks for your understanding!

:geek,
Lorina