DOES ANYONE WORK AT ABC/GOODSTART?? POLICY HELP!

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
helana4
Participator
Participator

DOES ANYONE WORK AT ABC/GOODSTART?? POLICY HELP!

Post by helana4 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi all.
I am doing my course work based on the ABC Child Care Centre that I'm doing my placement at and have a couple of questions on policies that I have forgotten to check on their intranet.

Just wondering if anyone worked at one of the ABC/Goodstart's would be able to help me??

Questions are:

Is there a policy on a staff member being able to care for a child that is at the Centre, outside Centre hours eg: on the weekend? What is the policy?

Does the service have an "appropriate touching policy"? What does this include?

Thanks a lot. Greatly appreciated :)

Lorina

Re: DOES ANYONE WORK AT ABC/GOODSTART?? POLICY HELP!

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi Helana,

Most child care centres have the same or very similar policies. This is because we all fall under the same Regulations and Authorities. The only differences are the STATE you're living in. For e.g (policies may differ from VIC and NSW). So, just search something like " childcare policies VIC" and see what comes up.

Anyways, the first one sounds like a "Babysitting" policy and the second one could possibly have something to do with Child Protection. Although Im guessing here...

Did you find anything else out that you could add?

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

helana4
Participator
Participator

Re: DOES ANYONE WORK AT ABC/GOODSTART?? POLICY HELP!

Post by helana4 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Thanks for your help, L.A.

I have been searching all sorts of Regulations, Acts and Legislations in Victoria on Child Protection to find something on "appropriate touching", but found nothing.

I found that overseas there are a lot of "no babysitting" policies in place in Child Care, so you cannot baby sit a child from your Centre outside hours, as the Centre is liable if something happens to the child. The only way you can babysit the child is if the Centre has a "Hold Harmless" agreement, that the parents can sign which waives any right to hold the Centre liable if anything happens to their child.

But I cannot seem to find anything on this is Victoria or in Australia.

I will have to search ABC's intranet next week, as it covers everything more directly.

Thanks again :)