develop positive and respectful relationships with children

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
seep
Contributor
Contributor

develop positive and respectful relationships with children

Post by seep » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:47 pm

Q1-what type of experiences can you provide within your service to allow and encourage children to share their stories and ideas
•Point out good sharing in others. You can say things like, ‘Your friend was sharing her toys really well. That was very kind of her’. You can also point out sharing examples in any books, DVDs or TV shows your child enjoys. For example, you could say things such as, ‘Look at Karen and Rhys sharing the playdough on Playschool. They’re having so much fun!’
•When you see the child trying to share or take turns, make sure you give lots of praise and attention. For example, ‘I liked the way you let Aziz play with your train. Great sharing!’
•Play games with child that involve sharing and turn-taking. Talk with child through the steps, saying things like, ‘Now it’s my turn to build the tower, then it’s your turn. You share the red blocks with me, and I’ll share the green blocks with you’.
•Talk to the child about sharing before she goes on play with other children. For example, you could say, ‘When Georgia comes over, you’ll need to share some of your toys. Why don’t we ask her what she wants to play with.
•Put away any special toys when lots of kids are playing at the same time.This might help avoid problems with sharing altogether.
--------------------------------------------------------
Q2-How can we demonstrate an attitude of respect when working with families? in your answer consider the physical environment of the service as well as our personal skills and qualities as educators?

1-Get to know families at your ECEC service
Every family is different. Getting to know all of the families at your ECEC service means there is less chance of assumptions being made about backgrounds, cultures or practices. Asking families about their lives and culture is the best way to get to know them and what is important to them.

2-Be open to different types of families
Families from culturally diverse backgrounds can also be unique in their composition. Families can be small or large, may or may not be biologically related and may include several generations. When educators are able to include all families, it helps families to feel more welcome in the ECEC service

3-Work to develop positive relationships with families
Relationships help people understand each other and work together. Coming to an ECEC service might be a new experience for some families, so developing positive relationships can help build a sense of belonging and inclusion

4-Be thoughtful about communication
When spoken or written English is a barrier, interpreters or translated material can help educators and families communicate with one another. When working face to face with interpreters, always remember to talk to the family not to the interpreter

5-Mutual respect for diversity
Educators can encourage a positive environment by inviting diversity into the service. For example, providing a range of opportunities for children and their families to share their personal stories creates an atmosphere of cultural respect and acknowledgement of diversity.

6-Create community connections
Being safe and feeling safe can take time to achieve. Some families may have experienced significant trauma and disruption in the process of moving to or settling in Australia. These experiences can have ongoing effects on families. It can be helpful for families to have opportunities to talk about their experiences and to receive sensitive support when required.

7-Counter racism and discrimination
Race-based discrimination is any behaviors or practices that result in avoidable and unfair disadvantage for minority racial/ethnic/cultural groups and privilege majority groups. It can occur at both individual and organizational levels. Racism can be countered by promoting positive attitudes and practices regarding diversity among individuals and organizations.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Q3-give example of aspects of an environment that would foster stress and frustration in children?

children who regulate their emotions are empathic, relate to peers effectively, respect the rights of others, and perform better at school. Children who are less skilled tend to have more negative experiences with peers and adults. This can have lifelong impacts. For example, some children may have limited social skills to join in group play, and that can lead to feelings of isolation or rejection and undermine self-confidence.
------------------------------------------------------------
Q4-Research
Research and record Mildred Parten's theory of play stages

1-Stages of play is a theory and classification of children's participation in play developed by Mildred Parten in 1932.[1] Parten observed American preschool age (ages 2 to 5) children at free play (defined as anything unrelated to survival, production or profit).
Parten recognized six different types of play:
•Unoccupied (play) – when the child is not playing, just observing. A child may be standing in one spot or performing random movements.[2]
•Solitary (independent) play – when the child is alone and maintains focus on its activity. Such a child is uninterested in or is unaware of what others are doing. More common in younger children (age 2–3) as opposed to older ones.[1][2][3]
•Onlooker play (behavior) – when the child watches others at play but does not engage in it.[2] The child may engage in forms of social interaction, such as conversation about the play, without actually joining in the activity.[3] This type of activity is also more common in younger children.[1]
•Parallel play (adjacent play, social coaction) – when the child plays separately from others but close to them and mimicking their actions.[2][3] This type of play is seen as a transitory stage from a socially immature solitary and onlooker type of play, to a more socially mature associative and cooperative type of play.[1]
•Associative play – when the child is interested in the people playing but not in coordinating their activities with those people, or when there is no organized activity at all. There is a substantial amount of interaction involved, but the activities are not in sync.[2][3]
•Cooperative play – when a child is interested both in the people playing and in the activity they are doing. In cooperative play, the activity is organized, and participants have assigned roles. There is also increased self-identification with a group, and a group identity may emerge. This is relatively uncommon in the preschool and Kindergarten years, because it requires more social maturity and more advanced organization skills. Examples would be dramatic play activities with roles, like playing school, or a game with rules, such as freeze tag
--------------------------------------------------
2-what cues might a child give us if they want us to join their play

(help plaz)

-------------------------------------------------
3-what cues might indicate to us that a child does not enjoy our level of interaction

Facial expressions
Body language and body posture
Gestures
Proximity
-------------------------------------------------
4-what cues tell us we are making a child feel uncomfortable

noise
crying
body language
-----------------------------------------------------
5-what cues tell us a child attempting a task needs help from us

plz help

seep
Contributor
Contributor

Re: develop positive and respectful relationships with children

Post by seep » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:12 pm

bump

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:03 am

Good responses! :thumbup:
what type of experiences can you provide within your service to allow and encourage children to share their stories and ideas

How would you encourage children to share their ides or stories? Ask questions while reading a story about what they think will happen next, have a brainstorming session on a topic of interest, have daily news where children share "news", get each child to draw a picture and narrate what it's about etc.
what cues might a child give us if they want us to join their play

ask, call us over, engage us in their play by giving us an item to use, etc.
-what cues tell us a child attempting a task needs help from us

gets frustrated
becomes upset
says "I cant do it"
asks for help etc.

Hope these help,

:geek:,
Lorina

Monnanda

Post by Monnanda » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:48 pm

This scenario is based on the simulated organisation Little.ly (long URL: www.littlely.eduworks.com.au).
A four-year-old Child has been attending the service for three years. The Child has an easy temperament and has a bubbly and friendly personality. The Child used to be looked after by the grandparent who recently became very ill and died unexpectedly.
The Child is very upset when the Parent leaves in the morning, but the Child settles quite quickly within ten minutes. The Child plays happily with most of the children in the room. Yesterday, the Child was playing shop with friends. The educator reminded the Child that it was time for the Child’s friends to have an afternoon sleep. The educator said that the Child could sit quietly and read a book to rest the body and mind. The Child got very upset. The Child threw things and pushed the educator away and screamed: ‘I am not finished’. The Child had not ever displayed this type of behaviour before.
The Child’s educator said calmly, ‘I understand how tricky it is to stop a game when you are playing. Are you feeling okay? Come and sit with me and we can have a chat’. The Child started crying and the educator reached out and gave the Child a cuddle. The educator said, ‘It’s okay to feel upset, I’m sorry I didn’t realise it would upset you to ask your friends for their sleep. Is anything else bothering you?’
The Child cuddled tighter and said, ‘My Nana went away too, I can’t play with Nana and Mummy doesn’t play with me anymore either’.
The educator listened to the Child and said, ‘I’m very sad that your Nana went away. I bet that’s really sad and hard for you to understand. Do you think Mummy is a bit sad at the moment too? Maybe we can make mummy a card or a picture while your friends have a sleep’.
The Child drew a picture for Mum and settled down. The educator sat with the Child during rest time and reminded the Child that the educator is here if the Child needs a cuddle at any time.
The educator said to the Child while drawing, ‘How are you feeling now? How were you feeling before?’ The Child said, ‘I am feeling better, but I was sad’. The educator said, ‘Sometimes feeling sad can make us feel a bit angry too. Do you think you felt angry or were you feeling something else?’
The Child said, ‘I was angry, but I felt like my friends were going to leave too’.
The educator said, ‘Maybe you were feeling a bit scared do you think?’
The Child said ‘Yes’.
The educator said, ‘If you ever feel like that again, I’d like you to breathe in and out and then tell me how you are feeling, that way we can make sure you and our friends are happy and safe, is that okay?’
The Child said, ‘Yes, I shouldn’t have done that’.
The educator said, ‘That’s okay, and it’s understandable that you felt that way. You didn’t know you could tell me how you were feeling, but now you do’. The educator asked the question, ‘What did you love to do with your Nana?’ The two chatted for the full rest time about the Child’s Nana and the educator learned lots about what they liked to do together.
The educator let the Child’s mum know that the Child was a bit upset today and that the Child found comfort in drawing Mum a picture.

Consider the scenario and read each question carefully. Each response should be a minimum of 30 words but no longer than 60 words.
1. Identify two factors of the social and physical environments of the Child’s home and community which may be influencing one’s own behaviour.

2. List three techniques the educator used to demonstrate sensitivity and warmth while helping the Child calm down and develop self-regulation skills.
3. Explain why you think the educator’s choice to respond the way the educator did (with respect and sensitivity) when comforting the Child was successful.
4. Explain how the Child’s individual stage of development, temperament and personality might help you to understand the Child’s behaviour.

5. A Child’s ability to regulate one’s own emotions is linked to brain development. Please discuss how the Child’s age influences the Child’s behaviour.

6. The educator and the Child engaged in sustained conversation for the rest of the time. Explain what contributed to the Child’s willingness to participate in this shared conversation.
7. Explain how children can be involved in developmentally appropriate ways when agreeing expectations of behaviour.
8. Identify the part of the case study where the educator communicated expectations for behaviour with the Child. Evaluate the Educator approach and provide one example of how you could improve this interaction or follow up with the Child.

Reflect on the relationship between the educator and the Child and provide at least three ways the relationship was enhanced or built between the two.

Monnanda

Post by Monnanda » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:50 pm

will you be able to do that

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:42 pm

Monnanda wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:48 pm
This scenario is based on the simulated organisation Little.ly (long URL: www.littlely.eduworks.com.au).
A four-year-old Child has been attending the service for three years. The Child has an easy temperament and has a bubbly and friendly personality. The Child used to be looked after by the grandparent who recently became very ill and died unexpectedly.
The Child is very upset when the Parent leaves in the morning, but the Child settles quite quickly within ten minutes. The Child plays happily with most of the children in the room. Yesterday, the Child was playing shop with friends. The educator reminded the Child that it was time for the Child’s friends to have an afternoon sleep. The educator said that the Child could sit quietly and read a book to rest the body and mind. The Child got very upset. The Child threw things and pushed the educator away and screamed: ‘I am not finished’. The Child had not ever displayed this type of behaviour before.
The Child’s educator said calmly, ‘I understand how tricky it is to stop a game when you are playing. Are you feeling okay? Come and sit with me and we can have a chat’. The Child started crying and the educator reached out and gave the Child a cuddle. The educator said, ‘It’s okay to feel upset, I’m sorry I didn’t realise it would upset you to ask your friends for their sleep. Is anything else bothering you?’
The Child cuddled tighter and said, ‘My Nana went away too, I can’t play with Nana and Mummy doesn’t play with me anymore either’.
The educator listened to the Child and said, ‘I’m very sad that your Nana went away. I bet that’s really sad and hard for you to understand. Do you think Mummy is a bit sad at the moment too? Maybe we can make mummy a card or a picture while your friends have a sleep’.
The Child drew a picture for Mum and settled down. The educator sat with the Child during rest time and reminded the Child that the educator is here if the Child needs a cuddle at any time.
The educator said to the Child while drawing, ‘How are you feeling now? How were you feeling before?’ The Child said, ‘I am feeling better, but I was sad’. The educator said, ‘Sometimes feeling sad can make us feel a bit angry too. Do you think you felt angry or were you feeling something else?’
The Child said, ‘I was angry, but I felt like my friends were going to leave too’.
The educator said, ‘Maybe you were feeling a bit scared do you think?’
The Child said ‘Yes’.
The educator said, ‘If you ever feel like that again, I’d like you to breathe in and out and then tell me how you are feeling, that way we can make sure you and our friends are happy and safe, is that okay?’
The Child said, ‘Yes, I shouldn’t have done that’.
The educator said, ‘That’s okay, and it’s understandable that you felt that way. You didn’t know you could tell me how you were feeling, but now you do’. The educator asked the question, ‘What did you love to do with your Nana?’ The two chatted for the full rest time about the Child’s Nana and the educator learned lots about what they liked to do together.
The educator let the Child’s mum know that the Child was a bit upset today and that the Child found comfort in drawing Mum a picture.

Consider the scenario and read each question carefully. Each response should be a minimum of 30 words but no longer than 60 words.
1. Identify two factors of the social and physical environments of the Child’s home and community which may be influencing one’s own behaviour.

2. List three techniques the educator used to demonstrate sensitivity and warmth while helping the Child calm down and develop self-regulation skills.
3. Explain why you think the educator’s choice to respond the way the educator did (with respect and sensitivity) when comforting the Child was successful.
4. Explain how the Child’s individual stage of development, temperament and personality might help you to understand the Child’s behaviour.

5. A Child’s ability to regulate one’s own emotions is linked to brain development. Please discuss how the Child’s age influences the Child’s behaviour.

6. The educator and the Child engaged in sustained conversation for the rest of the time. Explain what contributed to the Child’s willingness to participate in this shared conversation.
7. Explain how children can be involved in developmentally appropriate ways when agreeing expectations of behaviour.
8. Identify the part of the case study where the educator communicated expectations for behaviour with the Child. Evaluate the Educator approach and provide one example of how you could improve this interaction or follow up with the Child.

Reflect on the relationship between the educator and the Child and provide at least three ways the relationship was enhanced or built between the two.
Please add your responses.

:geek:,
Lorina