Child Protection

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Harmony
Participator
Participator

Child Protection

Post by Harmony » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:45 pm

Chloe is an 18 month old girl who has been coming to the centre where you work for 2 months. Chloe’s mother Tracey is a sole parent who separated from her partner not long before Chloe started coming to the centre. Tracey does not stay long when she drops Chloe off, and you do not know much about her situation. When she filled in the information sheets when Chloe began coming to the centre she only gave minimal information.
More often than not Chloe has come without a change of clothes or nappies, or with dirty clothes left in her bag. Often she seems to have arrived with her night nappy on, and she always has nappy rash. Staff have discovered that she is generally very hungry when she arrives, and have to start feeding her as soon as she arrives. They have expressed concern about what will happen to Chloe during the forthcoming holiday break.
Chloe has few words, and sometimes seems withdrawn, or overwhelmed by other children. Her play is disorganised, and she does not often display pleasure. She rarely cries loudly, but will sometimes be miserable and difficult to comfort. She does not approach staff, or reach up to be cuddled or reassured. Tracey does not greet Chloe, or show an interest in Chloe’s activities. She has sometimes expressed irritation with her, and has yelled at her, even though to an observer she has only been doing what would be expected of a child that age. Chloe shows no reaction when her mother comes to collect her. It has been suggested by staff that Chloe may have developmental disability.
On several occasions when Tracey was due to collect Chloe she has arrived late, with no explanation or apology. On the last occasion she was almost an hour late. You are concerned that Tracey may be under stress, and need support, because of the issues you have noted about Chloe’s care. A parent told you yesterday they saw Tracey put Chloe in her seat, but did not do up the straps. The parent tried to talk with Tracey about it but Tracey swore at her and drove off, with Chloe still unrestrained.
You have made a number of attempts to talk with Tracey. Each time you have approached Tracey she has said that she has to leave because of urgent commitments. Today when Tracey arrives with Chloe, Chloe appears to be listless and less responsive than usual.

1. How would you respond to this situation?

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: Child Protection

Post by catchmeifucan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:11 pm

harmony, can you also post your answer so far or tell us where you need help and what you have so far.

For this question, how would you respond? would you talk about your concerns with the director? Will you contact DOCS? Should you document your concerns? Should you find information to try and support the parent? Tell me what you would do… I’ll check your response and see if it’s on the right track.

Harmony
Participator
Participator

Post by Harmony » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:42 pm

Sorry!

I would ask Tracey about Chloe, I would ask if there is something wrong with Chloe as she seems more unresponsive than usual, is she sick? Then I would speak to the Director immediately about my concerns and decide whether Chloe is at risk of significant harm and report if necessary. In this case I think it would be necessary to report Tracey for neglect

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:42 am

I appreciate you posting your answer!

i think its a good answer. You've covered the points. Maybe to back up your claims you should also provide some evidence. You can take written observations or records on the childs behaviour, conversations you had with the parent etc. This will help support services determine what’s going on.