CHCECE001

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
workingmummy

CHCECE001

Post by workingmummy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:59 pm

Hi everyone,

It is my first time posting in the forum. I am struggling with this assessment below and I was wondering if someone could help, please.

You are then required to plan and implement TWO experiences that explore and expand children’s knowledge of culture, heritage, backgrounds, traditions and languages of each child within the context of their community.
Experience 1:
The planned experience should focus on events, customs, and beliefs that are relevant to the service’s children and their families.
Experience 2:
The planned experience should demonstrate respect for all home languages and expose children to different language and dialects and encourage appreciation of linguistic diversity.

1) Explain how each experience explored the culture, heritage, backgrounds and traditions of each child within the service and fostered positive attitudes for inclusion and diversity, and how;
a) How the activities allowed children to use collaborative processes to solve problems

Here is what I came up with so far

Experience 1:
The culture I chose for this learning experience is Japanese
Chop Stix Pick-up
During this multicultural activity preschool children will use eye-hand coordination and fine motor skills.
What I need:
Enough pairs of chop sticks for everyone in the small group, lots of large cotton balls, paper plates.
Description:
Introduce the chop sticks and tell children they are used for eating. Let the children help put the cotton balls (pretend food) on their paper plates and ask them how they could use the chop sticks to pick up the pretend food. Permit the children to experiment with ways to pick up the cotton balls. Then demonstrate how they might pick up the pretend food. Give children lots of time to try before reading the book: How My Parents Learned to Eat (Japanese - American) by Ina R. Friedman

Experience 2:
The second learning experience is about exposing children to different language and we chose Spanish for this purpose
Uno, Dos Y Tres
A bilingual counting song in Spanish and English
Uno, dos, y tres,
Cuatro, cinco, seis.
Siete, ocho, y nueve,
Cuento hasta diez.
La la la la la; La la la la la,
La la la la la; La la la la la.
La la la la la; La la la la la.
One, two, and three,
Four, five and six.
Seven, eight, and nine,
I count to ten.

cited from Gayle's preschool rainbow

b) How children were supported (if necessary) for additional cross-cultural understanding

Experience 1:
Explain to a small group of pre-schoolers that not everyone eats with
forks and spoons by giving helpful explanations to questions about difference

Experience 2:
Explain to the children that not everyone speaks the same language. Intervene when negative reactions occur.

2) Explain how families were provided opportunities to share their context and cultural knowledge and be involved in the planning, implementation and evaluation of the activities

Experience 1:
As early learning educators, we need to value and include all families and staff involved in our early childhood service. This can be achieved with families about their customs and beliefs during the enrolment process.

Experience 2:
This learning experience were provided opportunities to share their context and cultural knowledge when we asked them to write a song in their home language or even invite the parent to the centre so they can sing the song to the children, should they feel comfortable to do so.

3) Explain;
a) What community protocols where followed when engaging with community members, including families of the service.

I am struggling with this one

b) How the information collected was processed in a culturally sensitive way including identification of how and with whom information can be shared

Experience 1:
During enrolment ask parents to fill out a form where the parents can write information and details about their culture and beliefs if they are uncomfortable talking about it. Look over the information that has been written on the forms and have brief conversation with the parents about it if necessary. We can share this information only with the people involved in the program such as colleagues.

Experience 2:
Not to sure what to write, to me it is the same than experience 1

4) Explain how the Early Year Learning Framework Principles (secure, respectful and reciprocal relationships, partnerships, high expectations and equity and respect for diversity) were displayed in the activities implemented with children.

What I wrote so far
Experience 1:
1. By inviting families to share their knowledge and culture within the service, we are in accordance with principle 1 of the Early Year Learning Framework Secure, Respectful and Reciprocal relationships. Indeed, a child’s first and main source of relationship is his family and by having a respectful relationship with their family in understanding, communicating and interacting across culture. The service links the Early Year Learning Framework principles by recognising that the families are the children’s first and most influential teachers and encourages the families to be involved and contribute to the services decisions when it comes to planning activities for the children. The service also supports/respects the families’ values when it comes to their parenting role. The educators also provide resources to support parenting and family wellbeing

5) Explain how children were supported to help them work towards a strong sense of identity, wellbeing and of being connected with and contributing to their world

Any help will be appreciated.

Lorina

Re: CHCECE001

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:20 pm

3) Explain;
a)What community protocols where followed when engaging with community members, including families of the service.

Expereince 1:

Maybe something along the lines of making sure that you were using/holding the chopsticks correctly to demonstrate to the children how to pick up different object with them.

Experience 2:

Pronouncitaion of words, making sure that when teaching the children that the spanish words are being said correctly by all and that correct promounciation is used.

3b) How the information collected was processed in a culturally sensitive way including identification of how and with whom information can be shared

You can also include that you continually ask for parent input reagrding their culture and traditions at home through conversations and feedback forms. Using this information you make informed currciuulm descisions.

4)Explain how the Early Year Learning Framework Principles (secure, respectful and reciprocal relationships, partnerships, high expectations and equity and respect for diversity) were displayed in the activities implemented with children.

This may help:
Understanding EYLF

:geek:,
Lorina