CHCCS400B - Meat given to Vegetarian child - Do I tell parents?

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
cutieangel84

CHCCS400B - Meat given to Vegetarian child - Do I tell parents?

Post by cutieangel84 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:43 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCS400B - work within a relevant ethical and legal framework
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Davey, a child in your care, is vegetarian and his parents have informed you that it is important that Davey is not given meat. You are on your morning break while the children have snack time and when you return you notice that Davey is eating a ham sandwich. You can see that he is fine and seems to be enjoying the sandwich, but you know that it is not following the family's wishes. You decide to make sure all staff are aware of Davey's dietary needs in future.
The ethical dilemma
do you tell the family as part of developing a trusting relationship but also risk them becoming angry or upset or
do you let this incident go without telling the family as the child is fine and you don't want to be embarrassed or upset the family
use the guidelines for ethical conduct to decide what the most ethical action will be:
What would you do to put the child's welfare first?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Act in the best interest of all children
Acknowledge the significance of children's cultural and linguistic identities.
Respect the specionship between children and their families

I would talk to the child about his dietary requirements & suggest he try something vegetarian to eat not sure

Description and Message:
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited topic heading

Lorina

Re: CHCCS400B - Meat given to Vegetarian child - Do I tell parents?

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

In my opinion, you have to tell the parents. They have a right to know and it is the carer’s responsibility to inform the parents about what had happened. This child is a vegetarian for a reason and it is not fair to the child, the family, culture or religion if this goes unnoticed or without telling the parents.

When explaining this incident to the parents, you have to apologize for the mistake of not informing other staff about the child’s dietary needs and explain to them what you are doing to rectify the situation (such as putting up a sign in the kitchen/dining area, informing staff etc.).

I wouldn’t worry about talking to the child about his dietary needs. Instead I would offer him an alternative meal/snack instead. Children are likely to eat what is put in front of them (most of the time), you just need to make sure it’s the right choice.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: CHCCS400B - Meat given to Vegetarian child - Do I tell parents?

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:49 am

Honesty is always the best policy. I would add that I would also inform the Director of the centre of this occurrence, in case parents decide to go and complain. If they do at least she would be aware of the situation from before.

You don’t want the child to announce to the parents at some point down the line that he had eaten meat at daycare so its best you tell them yourself that day and yes like LA said you apologise and make sure it never happens again.

Every room should have a allergies/dietary requirements document (we keep ours on our fridges or teachers noticeboards) that way any new staff can quickly look at it.