Chccn302a provide care for children-case study: Samantha, Jacob, Kylie

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
red

Chccn302a provide care for children-case study: Samantha, Jacob, Kylie

Post by red » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:36 pm

Im have a case study as follows
A childcare facility cares for three siblings: Jacob aged four; Samantha aged two and kylie aged six months. the children are generally well cared for with adequate clothing and their mother providing sufficient food for their morning and afternoon teas and lunches. the family is well known at the facility as Jacob has been attending since he was three months old. Although the food is of adequate quantity, the quility has limited nutritional value as it is processed food such as psckets of potato chips and fruit roll ups. The policy of the facility advises parents on the types oh healthy, nutritional food to provide and that one piece of fruit must be included in the lunch box.
The baby bottles are fine as prepared formula is sent in each day and kylie has not yet commenced a solids diet yet.
Both Jacob and Samantha are overweight for their ages, which is a concerningtrend. Additionally, the older children are difficult to manage on arrival and are oftendisplaying antisocial behaviour durning the day while in care.

they questions I have to asnwer are
a) How can you effectively communicate with the parents your concerns regarding the childrens food?
b)Prepare an information brochure for parents with suggestions for healthy breackfast and dinner menus.
c) Discuss some strategies for managering the children on arrival
D) Discuss managerment of the children's antisocial behaviour while in care

I have done the information booklet and have some answers for c and d but any information on c and d would be appreciated

And question a : I have give a copy of the food policy for the centre
- give a list of recomended and discouraged foods plus display one on notice board
- a note suggesting alternatives foods to those in the lunch box
- information brochure with suggestions for healthy food ideas
I know to talk to the parents but are unsure on what to say so you dont offend them

I have look up some websites but not having much luck and I dont work in a childcare or started my prac work yet, so any help would be much appreciated

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Chccn302a provide care for children

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:26 pm

Is there any detail of in what way they are difficult to manage on arrival.

some strategies u can use on arrival is distract the children get them involved in some play ... encourage parents to drop and go , no hanging about, as this makes the child more difficult. i have seen children normally fine at arrival go all difficult & clingy etc when the parent hangs about and fusses

for anti social behaviour i observe the child and see what their interests are and who they seem to gravitate towards to play (if they do at all) ... if they do i will get them to do some work or play with that child, if not i find a child with similar interests and then get them to do something together
another thing u can do is get one child to help another child out with something, sorry this is a very montessori thing as we have rooms with big age differences (3 - 6) so sometimes getting a child to help another (usually older ---> younger) breaks barriers and allows both age groups to realise that they can interact with each other and both can benefit

hope this helps

red

Post by red » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:23 pm

thanks for that, that's kind of the same answers I had for questions c and d so I know Im on the right track. They question that Im having the most trouble with is question a - how can you effectively communicate with the parents your concern reguarding the childrens food
I have the ideas of giving the parents information on healthy eating and the centres food policy
also to talk to them, but not sure what would be the best way to, without offending them, an was wondering if there is any other way of communicating to them about it , other than talking and information sheets

There was no other details in what way they were difficult to manage on arrival, that was the whole case study that I typed but thank you for input

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:41 pm

I would speak to the parents and just explain the policy of healthy food in person and you could add that the processed food and sugar foods were causing mood swings ... children get revved up with the sugar then they crash when it drops... to allow them to focus and concentrate they need healthy food. Say they can still have fruit rolls etc but perhaps ones which have no preservatives etc in them.

Off topic i find parents are not generally respectful of food policies and in one centre they got the hint when i kept sending lollies etc home and not allowing the child to have them. I had parents giving children eggs and nut bars etc when we had CLEARLY stated we had children with extreme egg & nut allergies in the class... its like they don't care...!!

I prefered my last centre, we provided all the food and it was all healthy, all the children (of all ages) ate fruit for morning tea, healthy lunch (brown pasta/rice with veg, fish and veg etc) and for arvo tea they had rice crackers, raisins, cheese etc and they were fine with all the food. They still had treats when we did cooking or on special occasions but then it was just that a treat and they enjoyed it and even then they were allowed one piece of cake or 1 cupcake etc ... they knew the rules and respected it and never asked for more!

red

Post by red » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:35 am

thank you for all your help