CHCCN302A develop a link between a child’s home environment and the care environment...Feedback would be much appreciated...again:)

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

CHCCN302A develop a link between a child’s home environment and the care environment...Feedback would be much appreciated...again:)

Post by Steffelz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:23 pm

The question is What strategies or methods could you implement to develop a link between a child’s home environment and the care environment?
Ive done the answer and ill post it below, i was just wondering if anyone would be able to tell im if im right with my answer as im pretty uncertain.
My answer is below

The main tool, and first step needed to develop and keep a link between a childs home and care environments is communication between the childs family and the childs carers at the center. Enrolment is the start of this communication and information sharing, where parents provide compulsory information about the child and his/her family, as well as voluntary information which provides the center with information about the childs streangths, routines and needs as well as particulat health concerns.
One strategy we could use (once off, every few months, or annually depending on various factors) could be to encourage families to fill out a "Me And My Family" workbook which has spaces for the family to provide the center with information to help us get to know the childs personality and temprament etc. such as:
- The family composition and any other relevent info
- The childs interests, favorite toys, games, books, games, songs etc.
- The childs daily routines and how the child reacts to changes in routine
- How the child likes to be comforted when upset
- How the child goes to sleep eg: with a particular dummy
- Photos of the child and his/her family and pets etc.
- Information on the childs cultural backgrounds.
We would then take this information and incorporate it into our care environment and daily routines (eg. putting up pictures that show the childs culture, or serving food from a specific culture).

We need to consistantly provide parents with information regarding their child and his/her development and any change in preferences they have and/or milestones they have reached etc.
This can be done in various ways such as:
- Formal meetings
- Infomal meetings/chats
- Photographs of daily activities put up around the classroom
- Newsletters
- Notice boards
It is important that we give parents have ample oppertunities to share current information about their childs life at home, as well as with information about any requirements that the child has or issues that are affecting the child such as:
- any concernsabout their child’s behavior
- issues relating to their child’s health or wellbeing.
- significant events that are happening at home such as a visit from relatives, moving house etc.
- one-off events that have significantly affected the child eg: the loss of a pet or witnessing a traumatic event such as a traffic accident or natural disaster.
Effective communication strategies like these help parents and carers be on the same page and to understand what is happening with the child at home and at day care, and how to work together to help make the childs experience in care a happy and productive one.
Another strategy we could use would be to have elements of familiarity in the center such as a favorite toy or blanket, or pictures of things that the children like.
The main link which involves good communication is consistency of care in both the home and care environment.
It is important that certain routines and experiences in the childs daily life are consistant (or similar), these include:
- Behavior guidence strategies
- Sleep and/or rest routines
- Sun safety (slip,slap,slop)
- Toilet training routines and strategies
- Effective hygiene practices
Parents and carers need to work together to come up with routines and experiences that will work both at home and in childcare. Children benefit when their routines and experiences at home and child care are similar and supportive of each other. Encouraging consistency between home and child care will promote positive outcomes for the child.

Lorina

Re: CHCCN302A develop a link between a child’s home environment and the care environment...Feedback would be much appreciated...again:)

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:29 pm

Hey Steffelz,

I just had a read of your answer and I have to say you answered it really well! You thoroughly explained each idea that you had! At the moment I really can't think of anything else you can add... you gave some great examples... :thumbup:

Oh I just thought of an idea... you could add "special events" that a centre can have to include family members. For example, you can have Grandparents Day, Mother's Day Picnic, Father's Day BBQ. Children often enjoy it when their family comes and stays with them at the centre especially when it's a special day. This way you get to know each family member on a more personal level and it's part of family participation to include them within centre activities!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: CHCCN302A develop a link between a child’s home environment and the care environment...Feedback would be much appreciated...again:)

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Think your answer is very well written ... good job