CHCCN301A - Child Pedestrian Safety in Communities Project - Factsheets

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Betty123

CHCCN301A - Child Pedestrian Safety in Communities Project - Factsheets

Post by Betty123 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:47 pm

For assignment 2 of this Unit I am given a website to visit <www.kidsafensw.org/index.htm> to answer scenario question regarding to Child Pedestrian Safety, below is a scenario:
You are planning to take a group of 10 preschool children (4-5 yrs) to the local nursery to buy plants and seeds for the garden. The nursery is one block away from the centre so it is an easy walk. You will have to cross one road where there are pedestrian traffic lights.

Q1. Using point form, suggest how you would go about identifying the potential hazards involved in this mini-excursion.
My thought...(this is just my thought since I couldn't find useful information from the website), do a practise run with just one child. This will be more manageable and allows adult to study how child might behave, hence IDing the potential hazzards. Really unsure about my answer, any ideas?

Q2. Suggest two strategies that the carer could use to minimise risk to the children.
My thoughts
a. Prior to the excursion, talk to children about road safety, reinforce key rules such as holding hands at all time, what to do when approaching the street light or stop sign, what they must do when adults give the 'stop' command, etc.
b. Do a role play, a practise run of the mini-excursion in the classroom. Setup the elements (e.g. traffic light, crossing, footpaths, etc) that the children will face on their walk, ask children what to do and praise them for giving/acting the correct answers.
Again I am not sure if I am on the right track with my answers....ideas anyone?

Betty

Finished everything else with this assignment, both 1 and 2, last exercise to do...any help will be appreciated, thanks.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: CHCCN301A - Child Pedestrian Safety in Communities Project - Factsheets

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:09 pm

For 1 it may be hard to just do a practise run with one child as you would still need parental permissions etc ... it would be easier to do the run yourself and just think about what hazards you may encounter.
Hazards could be children trying to cross somewhere other than the pedestrian crossing, children stopping and not following the line, etc

For 2 I think your ideas are really good

Betty123

Re: CHCCN301A - Child Pedestrian Safety in Communities Project - Factsheets

Post by Betty123 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:41 am

Hi fefe76,

Thank you for your help, assignment finished! Sending it off today =)

Cheers,
Betty