Cert 3 first assig. - How to Answer Assignment Questions?

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
LYN CASE

Cert 3 first assig. - How to Answer Assignment Questions?

Post by LYN CASE » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:14 pm

I am starting to panic still have a fair bit to do and not much time left.
One part i am having particular trouble with is finding the answer to ...
WHAT PART OF THE CHILDCARE ACT OR REGULATIONS stipulate or identify your limitations in relation to behaviour management? (What can't you do?) i am assuming it is to do with punishment versus consequences i need to know the technical regulation or ..... ALSO

WHAT PART OF THE CURRENT 'QUALITY ASSURANCE' DOCUMENT identifies good & high quality behaviour management. and if i had to complete a self study report based on a response to a particular question answered earlier - i then need to give myself a rating...

would really appreciate some help here .....

Lorina

Re: Cert 3 first assig. Communicate with children CHCIC 301D

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:49 am

Good Morning Lyn,

Don't worry.... we are here to help :D ! I went through the Childcare Regulations I found the info you needed in regards to limitations on behavior management. I also went through the quality assurance guide and listed the indicators of good quality and high quality care on behavior management.

WHAT PART OF THE CHILDCARE ACT OR REGULATIONS stipulate or identify your limitations in relation to behaviour management?

The licensee and authorised supervisor of a children’s service must ensure that the dignity and rights of each child being provided with the service are maintained at all times and that:

(a) child management techniques do not include physical, verbal or emotional punishment, including, for example, punishment that humiliates, frightens or threatens the child, and

(b) the child is not isolated for any reason other than illness, accident or a pre-arranged appointment with parental consent, and

(c) a child is given positive guidance directed towards acceptable behaviour with encouragement freely given, and

(d) the values of the child’s family are respected, and

(e) the child is given support in the child’s learning experiences, and

(f) the child is given emotional support, and

(g) the child is not required to sleep or rest against the child’s wishes or needs.

WHAT PART OF THE CURRENT 'QUALITY ASSURANCE' DOCUMENT identifies good & high quality behaviour management.

Quality Area 1 Principle 1.2 Staff guide each child’s behavior in a positive way.

Indicators of good quality care:

Staff share in children’s positive emotions. For e.g. appreciate the pleasure they derive from independence and competence.

Staff discuss with children ways of dealing with conflict. For e.g. encourage role playing to practice strategeies that lead to fair resolutions.

Staff actively seek support from each other when they are feeling stressed or are having difficulty coping with a child’s behaviour.

Staff model appropriate conflict resolution language and behavior.

Staff are aware of individual children’s relationships and they monitor and support interactions between children
where there is conflict.

Staff regularly discuss emotions and interpersonal relationships with children.

The centre has a variety of well maintained resources to support interactive play among children.

Staff discuss guidance stratergies for individual children with family memebers.

Indicators of high quality care:

Staff encourage children to empathise with and to support other children who are experiencing difficultites.

Staff encourage children to recognize and challenge unfair and inappropriate behavior.

Staff work actively with children to develop problem solving skills that can be used in resolving conflicts.

Staff demonstrate high levels of competence in implementing the centre’s written policy on positive guidance of children’s behavior.

Staff receive regular in-service on positive behavior guidance

Families are provided with current information n positive guidance.

Hopefully now you will be able to finish your assignment ;) !

Cheers :geek: ,
L.A

LYN CASE

Post by LYN CASE » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Thank you so much... but... there's more..
i have tried so hard to find it for myself .. spent so much time going around in circles..
it is in a section concerning bullying in a follow up scenario where i have been asked .. 'the bullying may be occurring at school as well as in ourside school hrs care.. how would i ensure it is not happening? i said..I would be in touch with all other adults responsible for the students involved and make sure that there was communication between all parties. then...

Outside school hrs care may have a bullying policy based on that of Education Queensland .. have a look at the website & explain whether or not your response was in line with that policy (can't find it anywhere) it then goes on asking about the sections of childcare acts or regulations would apply and the parts of quality assurance i would refer to when planning responses to bullying. .... and if the victim was indigenous child would my response to the bullying change .. how and why ...

I feel i am going crazy trying to find this info.. and would really appreciate more help..

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Hey Lynipin,

Now I happen to do some research for you and I got some information for you regarding the anti-bullying policies in schools. Since you’re dealing with primary school children within an OOSH Service, as a duty of care requirement, if you suspect that a child is being bullied you will need to follow it up with the school.

The Queensland Government has formed a document/policy called the Queensland Schools Alliance against Violence. This document provides Queensland schools with a collection of strategies to address bullying in schools. On page 41 of this document it gives a sample information sheet for parents/carer’s in regards to what is bullying and what to do if a child they know is being bullied. The information here should help you out with your question about your response being in line with that policy, regarding bullying in an OOSH Service and in School.

Here is the link: http://education.qld.gov.au/studentserv ... oolkit.pdf

In the Quality Assurance Guide For OOSH Services, Principle 2.3 is “Staff guide children’s behavior in a positive way”. If you were planning a response to bullying I would look into Principle 2.3, on page 20. This gives you the indicators of satisfactory, good quality and high quality care that an OSSH Service displays in regards to guiding children’s behavior.

Here is the link: http://www.ncac.gov.au/resources/oshcqa_qpg.pdf

An OOSH Service doesn’t have a regulation however they do follow the “National Standards for Outside School Hours”. One of the points 4.5 Staff interaction with children discusses the standard of behavior and the rights children have within an OOSH setting. This can be found on page 18, of this document.

Here is the link: http://www.northsydney.nsw.gov.au/resou ... s_Care.pdf

Hopefully with this information you will be able to complete your assignment!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A