A question

General discussions on topics related to Bachelor of Early Childhood studies.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood. Please refer to Bachelor Degree Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Misse84
Helper
Helper

A question

Post by Misse84 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi all

So after my Diploma ( which I hope to complete in 6 months , goodbye social life ) I want to do my BA . I am going with Sydney's New England Uni as the ECT at my centre did hers there and another lady I know went there too .

But it says it goes for one year ? am I missing something ?

Misse84
Helper
Helper

Re: A question

Post by Misse84 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:55 pm

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Are you doing it full-time?

Misse84
Helper
Helper

Post by Misse84 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Yes , I will do it fulltime . ( think I posted something similar before sorry..)

You can do the Bachelor of education after the teaching . I think you can teach after the bachelor of teaching , this is so confusing :(

Thank you

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:18 pm

I probably have read the post and forgotten (This happens as you get old lol)

It definitely appears to be 1 year full time.

exert from the course rules and plans

Period of Candidature

The period of candidature shall be:
(a) one year as a full-time candidate;
(b) up to four years as a part-time candidate.

I looked on a few other sites and they too are 1 year full time

Hope this helps

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:51 pm

my little brain hurts... is a Bachelor of Teaching sufficient to be qualified/registered/employed as an ECT at a child care service? help?!! which other sites did you look at Lindy?
:shock:

Misse84
Helper
Helper

Post by Misse84 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:13 pm

I found it hard to understand too lol .

Graduates of this degree can progress into a range of careers including early childhood teacher, director of child care centre, coordinator of family day care scheme, teacher-director of preschool, children's services trainer, early childhood consultant for non-profit organisation, assistant director of child and family service. Completion of the Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood Education) will also assist graduates to progress in their career and enhance their earning power.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:49 pm

I cant find the one's I looked on before.

Now I am finding that the Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood Education) is 2-4 years FT

http://www.acu.edu.au/about_acu/publica ... childhood/

http://www.deakin.edu.au/future-student ... e=Continue

http://www.open.edu.au/courses/educatio ... e-deg-2012

I'd phone or send an email to UNE to seek clarification

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:41 am

Its v confusing but the Bachelor of Teaching only lets you teach 0-5 yr olds, so is equiv to a 3 yr degree, a 4 year Bachelor of Education allows you to teach 0-8 yr olds
However looking at it if you only have to do 1 yr with a Bach of Teaching if you have a Diploma you can then do that then try and do the extra years study to upgrade to a Bach of Education (ECE)
I am going to enquire about this as going this route would save me a heap of time!!!

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi Fefe
When you find out this information can you post it here please so we can all work it out? The ECT at my work did this course with UNE and was telling me it's not possible as of this year to transfer credits over to the 0-8 ECE degree. All too complex !

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:56 am

I will post here once I hear back from them about it.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:55 am

Just been on live chat with UNE and yes if you have your Diploma and meet their requirements you get the advance block standing which means you get 2 years of credit and have to do 1 year FT study to get the Bachelor of Teaching.
You can then go and do 1 extra year to upgrade to the Bachelor of Education if you want to.

From what I read you have to have a 4 year degree in order to be a Kindy Teacher as you need to be a registered teacher.
However the UNE route would be the quickest way to get there as if you go straight into a 4 yr degree and get credit for Diploma you would only get 1 year off and still need to do 3 yrs FT study this way you have to only do 2 yrs should you want to do the 4 yr degree!

I am applying for sure as it would save me a years worth of study!

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:11 pm

hi fefe
thanks for posting that ! it sounds fabulous... and definately on my to-do list. however i am starting to feel i would prefer a non-teaching/off the floor role. The NFP company i am working for has a huge network of early intervention, education, media, industry training and outreach programs- i would love to move into a more academic/ consultative area as the years go by.
gets me again to thinking the advanced diploma may be more suitable ?!?!
Realistically i have to finish my Diploma first! :roll:

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:23 pm

aggghh wrote a whole reply and then it got wiped

anyway in a nutshell a degree will always trump an adv diploma and with laws changing who says they wont want Directors etc to have a degree in the near future?
I would rather get going on that path than do an adv diploma then find out oh now i need to do a degree then start

doing your Diploma and going the UNE route to getting a degree would be way quicker than even doing an adv dip then trying to do a 4 yr degree as the most credit you would get is about 1.5yrs worth if you are lucky

however it is up to you what you want to do, I am def going the UNE route, saves me time and money and i get a higher qualification quicker which is a bonus

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:25 pm

hi fefe- I hate when long posts just disappear into virtual reality land!
I think you're 100% right- The way the industry is going, we shall all need a Degree to move through to management levels in the future! I will toil away at my Diploma, then see what UNE has to say. It's quite exciting- and a well-kept secret?- to think we can enter as 3rd year students- finally, all this study recognised for the effort it is!

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:16 am

Indeed. I am getting all my stuff together as admissions are open now for S3 & I better start ASAP I guess