Leave out words while reading a child's favourite story.
- Child’s favourite book.
What to do:
- When sitting down to read a child their favourite book, try leaving out a word or putting the wrong word in its place. See if your child notices and corrects you.
- If the child doesn't notice it the first time, after a pause say the correct word with a “stress”. Repeat the above method again for the same word when you read the book again to your child and see if they notice it this time.
Hints and Tips:
- This game is also great to play when singing nursery rhyme songs with your child. As you sing a nursery rhyme leave out a word or simply sing a wrong word and your child will definitely notice it. They will begin to correct your “mistakes” too.
- When choosing a story for this game, it will be beneficial if the story is one that your child constantly wants you to read and is familiar with.
- You can use Rhymes Posters and Sight Words Mini Stories available under Printables in this website.