Working As A Casual

Questions on working as a casual. Such as job responsibilities, what to do, finding casual work etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Katie Lupeiki

Working As A Casual

Post by Katie Lupeiki » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:31 pm

I finish my Diploma in November 2015. I just got work as a casual at a child care centre. I am just wanting to know how many hours can a casual work & how much do they get payed?!
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Working As A Casual

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:16 am

Hi Katie,

For casual work hours I don't think there is a "limit" to how many hours that can be worked. In my expereince I have known casuals to work a 38 hour a week (this was due to full time staff being unavailable for a week). However, as a casual it really depends on the centres needs. Sometimes you could get a great week and get alot of hours and other times it could be a slow week working here and there, for only a few hours. As a casual that's what happens.. Try and get yourself on the "casual" list at different centres in your area and surrounds. This may give you more of a chance to get more opportunities to work.

Regarding your wages, you should be getting a minimum of $29.64/per hour (causal - before tax) as a Level 4.1. This will give you more information:

Childcare Wages In Australia

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

Katie Lupeiki

Post by Katie Lupeiki » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:54 pm

How many observations or paperwork does a casual worker do when working in a child care centre?

Katie Lupeiki

Post by Katie Lupeiki » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:01 pm

So would I be a cert 3 casual educator until I finish my diploma, would I be getting the same pay rate?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:27 am

Katie Lupeiki wrote:How many observations or paperwork does a casual worker do when working in a child care centre?
From my experience casuals aren't required to do paperwork or documentation but I think this just depends on the centre itself. At my previous centre we also didn't let casuals change the children's nappies but this obviously doesn't happen at all centres. It just depends on the centre director...

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:32 am

Katie Lupeiki wrote:So would I be a cert 3 casual educator until I finish my diploma, would I be getting the same pay rate?

To be counted as a cert 3 educator:
A person who meets requirements 1 to 4 below may be counted as a certificate III qualified educator. They must also give the approved provider documentary evidence from their course provider that they meet requirements 2 to 4.

A person who meets all five requirements below may be counted as a diploma qualified educator. They must give the approved provider documentary evidence from their course provider that they meet requirements 2 to 5.

The requirements for actively working towards an approved qualification are:
being enrolled in a course for the qualification
having commenced the course
making satisfactory progress towards completion
meeting the requirements to maintain enrolment
holding an approved certificate III qualification OR having completed the approved certificate III units OR having completed 30% of the units in an approved ECT qualification.
Ref:Working Towards An Approved Qualification

A cert 3 casual wage is $25.15/per hour at Level 3.1. If you have completed a cert 3 qualification for over a year ago then your wage goes up...

Hope this helps,

Lorina

Katie Lupeiki

Post by Katie Lupeiki » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:36 pm

I have started working at a child care centre but I haven't been working there for four weeks now for a casual, why is that? Can I look for casual work else where while I am employed at a another centre?! Now I am doing my placement there due to no work atm

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:43 am

I have started working at a child care centre but I haven't been working there for four weeks now for a casual, why is that? Can I look for casual work else where while I am employed at a another centre?! Now I am doing my placement there due to no work atm
Hi Katie,

As a casual you will only be called to the centre to cover a shift when someone is sick or on holidays... As a casual worker yes, you can work at other centres (unless stated in a contract you signed)... You cant sit around waiting for one centre to call and it's already been four weeks! Best get in contact with centres in and around your area to get on their casual list. Hopefully you'll get more work...

When did you start work placement with them? Is it every day?

Lorina