Starting a Childcare Center

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Starting a Childcare Center

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi everyone,
I am new here and wondered if anyone had an idea of how one goes about starting a childcare center and what kind of costs and time frames can one expect?

I am a Montessori teacher who also has a Dip of Children's Services and very soon could be in a good position to be able to open my own childcare/montessori so am just trying to gather info.

I know that home-based daycare is relatively easy to do but I presume that this only works if you work from your residence, I would ideally be working out of a premises not on my residence.

I live in QLD and would really only be looking at a childcare with small numbers .... pretty much 1 room to begin with ... since I would be more Montessori this works fine for what I want to do.

Well any resources and info I can get would be brilliant.

Thanks

Lorina

Re: Starting a Childcare Center

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:37 pm

Hey Fefe,

How exciting… starting a childcare centre opens a world of opportunities. Not everyone can do it. It takes a lot of courage. Kudos to you :mrgreen:!

I found out some information on the steps you need to do if you’re considering opening a childcare centre in QLD. Let me tell you, it’s not easy… But make it happen and the rewards are great!

To begin I suggest you read the Child Care Act 2002 and the Child Care Regulation 2003. The Act and Regulations clearly define the minimum standards that need to be met in order to be licensed and legally operate in a child care service in Queensland. This should give you an overview of what is expected for a child care centre to run.

Click on the following link to read the Child Care Act 2002: http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGIS ... 2AC055.pdf

Click on the following link to read the Child Care Regulation 2003: http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGIS ... areR03.pdf

I am providing you with the “Developers Kit”. This provides you with information about the legislation governing child care in Queensland, the building approval process, licensing process and relevant contact details to services you may need to establish a centre based child care service in Queensland. Have a read through this document and it will outline the steps to take in order to begin starting up a childcare centre. This will give you an idea on the necessary procedures.

Here is the link: http://www.childcareqld.org.au/wp-conte ... centre.pdf

The next best thing to do is call the Department of Communities. They work with you to develop a service that can be licensed. An officer from the Department of Communities will delegate an officer and they will issue you with a license when the building, staffing arrangements, insurances, equipment and all other requirements of the Child Care Act 2002 and Childcare Regulations 2003 are met. You can contact the Child Care Information Service on 3224 4225 (or) 1800 637 711 during business hours or email ccis@communities.qld.gov.au . It’s also a good idea to have a chat with someone from there and I’m sure they can provide you with the paperwork and other documentation to get you started.

It’s not a decision to take lightly but it’s a great chance to take. If you can provide your community with a great centre then you should consider it. Although I understand the importance of RESEARCH first.

I hope this information will be able to give you an insight in the steps to take in starting a childcare centre.

I wish you all the best in your endeavors ,

Keep us updated on how you go,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:47 am

Dear L.A,

Thanks for your reply. I had already read and downloaded the info from the links you sent me, so at least I am on the right track.

I am waiting to do some research in the sense of whether the community I am moving to will embrace and want a Montessori.

Another thing I worry about is if I will be able to manage it myself, having nearly completed my Diploma I do not want to employ someone else just to manage the place. It's such a remote place that all I want is myself and another person as an assistant to help in the class and I will do all admin work as well

Anyway its a BIG step and it has been my dream and I just hope I can make it possible.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi Fefe,

Here is some info on licensed home based care in Queensland.

Licensed home based care:

A home based service provides care for a small group of children in one or more homes. This form of care does not include care in the child's own home or care by relatives.

Family day care is licensed care that is offered in private homes of carers under a family day care scheme. Carers are supported by the scheme’s coordination unit.

Other types of services that are not licensed in Queensland include:

• vacation care (not attached to a before or after school care service)
• stand alone care (including what was formerly known as independent home based care)
• adjunct care
• children's activity services
• playgroups
• nannies and babysitters
• resort care (a service, conducted by a hotel or resort, to provide child care to children who are short term guests).

I found this information on the following website: http://www.communityservices.qld.gov.au ... itycc.html

This is the website of Department of Communities that L.A suggested you to contact in her reply. You can also find information about childcare centres on this site too if you havent checked this one out yet...

:geek:,
L.A