Still just a casual...Am I employee material?

Questions on working as a casual. Such as job responsibilities, what to do, finding casual work etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
midget

Still just a casual...Am I employee material?

Post by midget » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:25 pm

I know I know I post a lot about how anxious I am but this is my first job so I really need all the reassurance I can get. I am really sorry for how annoying it is.

I am uncertain still, as I have been a casual for 5 months now (I know, not that long), but in that time at least four other casuals; one that came after me and had only been there for about a week, have become permanent. I am worried that this may be a sign that they do not intend to take me on as permanent maybe because I am not preferred?

Personally; it would work a lot better for me to at least work part time so I can schedule my studies.

It is becoming more worrying for me as time goes on and more staff join. Am I just not working hard enough, or have I made too many errors?

:|

Lorina

Re: Still just a casual...Am I employee material?

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:55 pm

Why don't you just ask?

Ask your centre director that you're looking for more permanent work and if any positions are available for you at the service?

:geek:,
Lorina

midget

Post by midget » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:25 pm

I have been considering that, but I seem to recall her saying if they like me they will take me on full time...

I am pretty nervous when it comes to asking about this kind of stuff. What if her answer is the one I am afraid of? I know I am probably overthinking but where I am at with life and everything else going on I need this, and I need to do well...

midget

Post by midget » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:27 pm

Thank you Lorina. I am just in a constant state of self doubt the last couple of months, but I have never been very confident in myself.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:47 pm

Don't worry we all go through periodic times of self doubt I assure you!

I completely understand about not being able to ask questions to others. It's much more easier to email it than to do it face to face.

If it seems like it's going nowhere why don't you have another centre you can also be a casual at and have both. This will give you an opportunity to explore your options and see what's available or if you're looking for part time work look around... you can simple say "I'm really interested in going part time since I've been here I would love to be given the opportunity". If they decline simple say "no problem" then you know where you stand and you can decide to stay or move on...

You'll be ok! You just need to face it head on!

Lorina

midget

Post by midget » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:43 pm

Thank you Lorina.

Your support and advice means a lot.

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:27 pm

Job wise just try to get experience, more you have the more confident you'll be. Its also never too early to start a professional portfolio with some goals, professional development you've done etc - experience and professionalism is always attractive to employers

Don't be so hard on yourself, especially since you are starting out. Still remember first few years were tough, harder for the quiet ones like me. Hang in there, try to learn something every day and remember to do your best đź’–

midget

Post by midget » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:49 pm

Thank you very much ButterflyBlue,
Your words have been reassuring :)

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:56 pm

You're very welcome :)

orangenmango

Post by orangenmango » Mon May 24, 2021 12:07 am

I am about to start as casual and so nervous. This post really helps me yo understand more.

Are we allowed to be in casual pool for more than 1 centre?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri May 28, 2021 3:49 am

orangenmango wrote: ↑
Mon May 24, 2021 12:07 am
I am about to start as casual and so nervous. This post really helps me yo understand more.

Are we allowed to be in casual pool for more than 1 centre?

HI There!

In regards to being in a casual pool for more than one centre it solely depends on the centre you're employed with. Some centres do not allow you to be a casual somewhere else while others it isn't a problem.

Did you receive a contract?

Did you receive an employee handbook? If you did, it should mention in there.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lorina

nicenotniece

Post by nicenotniece » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:29 pm

Hi, just curious if anyone of you has been working unlimited for childcare? Have read a lot of news that we can do it however it doesn’t show up on the government’s site specifically. I’m actually from Victoria so not sure of other states. Thanks