CHCECE026 Scenario 1 Marko

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Terreblanche

CHCECE026 Scenario 1 Marko

Post by Terreblanche » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:19 pm

I have the following question in my Culture cluster assessment...

Scenario 1

A New family from Greece has just enrolled in your service. The child Marko will be starting in care next week. This is the first time Marko will have attended a service. The family have brought Marko to your kindergarten room to meet you and your Lead Educator.

Question 1
At the initial orientation at the service:
a) What would you and the service do to make Marko and their family feel welcome.
(Note from lecturer: how will the families see themselves represented in your service? How can you ensure all cultures/families are represented.)

So far I have this in my answer...

Show the family through the centre and explain the processes and programs.
Listen intently to all questions.
Show how the service aims to include all families/cultures by displaying family photos, country flags and by celebrating different cultural holidays and festivals.

Is there more that I could add to it?

Any help is appreciated
TIA

Lorina

Re: CHCECE026 Scenario 1 Marko

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:46 pm

You're on the right track.

- You could also ask the family for Greek words/phrases that can be used with Marko.
- Add greek books/stories to the bookshelf.
- Learn some simple Greek words good morning/goodbye that you can use.
- Find out about any special days (name days, Greek Easter) that can be included in your services cultural celebrations.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Terreblanche

Post by Terreblanche » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:54 pm

Thanks heaps Lorina, you are amazing

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:21 pm

You're welcome! Happy to help!

Lorina

aussiechildcare

Post by aussiechildcare » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:24 am

Hi, I need help for my Culture Assessment please. I am really stuck and I'm too overwhelmed with this Cluster.

Thank you in advance.

A new family from Greece has just enrolled in your service. The child Marko will be starting in care next week. This is the first time Marko will have attended a service with other children. The family have brought Marko to your Kindergarten room to meet you and your Lead Educator. You notice the family speak little English and there will be a language barrier in regards to their understanding of some information.

Q1. What information would you make available for Marko’s family about community services and resources in your area? List three (3).

Q2. Provide two (2) strategies you could implement to ensure the information shared in b) and c) is current and easily understood (consider language barriers)?

Q3. How will you assist Marko’s family to locate and contact current community services and resources available?
q4. What information would you and the service gather from Marko’s family? List three (3).

Relating to Scenario 1 where Marko is from Greece.
Once Marko has commenced at the Service:
A.) How would you ensure a welcoming atmosphere that promotes belonging and that you were culturally appropriate and effective in supporting Marko and his family to settle into your Kindergarten room, once he has started in your service?

B.) How would you exchange information with the family about the Marko’s interests and gather information about key family events that may have an influence?

C.) How would you check whether your care practices were meeting the family’s needs?

D.) How would you respond/support the family when they had questions, concerns or requests?

E.) Identify three (3) strategies for involving the family in contributing to the operation of the service. Either as an advisor, consulting or decision-making role?

F.) Identify three (3) strategies on how you can share information with families about their child’s progress, relationships, interests and experiences both in and outside the service?

G.) If you need further support in relation to cultural diversity concerns, who could you contact?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:46 pm

1. Such things as connecting with other Greek people in the community such as Greek language classes, Greek dance classes etc.

2. Information should be translated into Greek. Many government sites offer information in different languages.

3. Most greek people do know how to speak English so communication shouldn't be a problem. If so, a interpreter can help translate so information is understood between the service and the family.

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:49 pm

This may also help:

Cultural Diversity In Childcare

Lorina

aussiechildcare

Post by aussiechildcare » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:56 pm