Don’t know whether to accept traineeship...

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Br00k3

Don’t know whether to accept traineeship...

Post by Br00k3 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:11 pm

I went for an interview last week and while it went well, I applied for this job a few months ago and I feel like my job aspirations have changed slightly. However, since they called me out of the blue for an interview I went!
It went really well and they pretty much told me I had the job but they just needed to do some checks and would call me once that’s done to organise a start date... I didn’t really get to say yes or no to the offer...
It’s 12 months for a Cert 3. I currently hold a cert 4 in education support. Would any of my education support units crossover with childcare? Would it make it a shorter study period?
I ultimately would love another job I applied for but that job was just an expression of interest but I’m scared if I say yes to the traineeship that the other job will have openings and I’ll miss out because I’m locked into 12 months.
My gut is telling me to not do it, but I feel bad if I decline the offer and I think it would be an alright experience but I’m not sure it’s something I want to do...
I also do quite a few afternoon activities during the week that would clash with the finish times of the job so I’d have to give those up too

I’m just very conflicted and confused and I feel like it’s happened really quickly and would love some guidance. They’re meant to call me sometime this week to organise a start date and I’m freaking out a lot!!

Lorina

Re: Don’t know whether to accept traineeship...

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:38 am

Id say go with your gut feeling... if you don't really have your heart set on the position and you're not really feeling it then I'd just politley decline.

Yes if you do accept the position you will be locked in for 12 months until you complete the traineeship. Since it is a traineeship if you decide to change your mind half way through it will be a little difficult to just end it and it will be an inconvenience to your employer as well.

Have a think about it... if you're second guessing it....then you need to consider if its right for you.

:geek:,
Lorina

Br00k3

Post by Br00k3 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:29 am

Hey Lorina,
I just feel really conflicted... I thought in always wanted to work with kids but after having a trial in a previous childcare I wasn’t too sure. The experience felt really off and I didn’t really get a feel of fulfilment from it and the thought of being stuck in that for the rest of my life freaked me out so I never went back to that preschool...
After completing my studies in education support, I also realised again that I don’t know if I could work with that age group either... as much as I enjoyed it, it still didn’t feel any passion or fulfilment for the job position...
So I thought maybe if I applied to work is disability child care it would be different, but now I’m scared it’s going to be the same feeling and that’s why I’m hesitant to say yes to the job and be locked into 12 months..

Do you have any more advice?
Thank you in advance!

caitlin181999

Post by caitlin181999 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:50 pm

Hello,
there are actually five units that are both included in the cert 4 and the cert III so yes you wouldn't need to do them again if you provide proof that you are competent on those units... however if you don't 100% feel that you should take the job then don't! it's okay to feel this way. my advice would be to go with your gut; being in childcare takes a lot of patience and heart to do but if you're not 100% committed it can feel like a chore to wake up and go to work everyday. take some time to think about it. it's a big decision.
kind regards,
Caitlin :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:50 am

I completely understand!

Instead of being stuck in a traineeship why don't you start working as a casual at centres and get a feel for it... then you can decide whether or not this career is right for you...

Lorina

Kalie

Post by Kalie » Sun May 23, 2021 3:06 pm

Hi there,

Need a help to configure this.
I applied for childcare traineeship and successfully faced the interview. Now they are happy to have me. But the question I have is, Do I need to locked in this traineeship for 12 months? What is the contract like?

I already completed my BSc. in another discipline. If I get an another job can I quit? Before accepting the offer I wanted to know this.

Thanks in advance.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun May 23, 2021 3:18 pm

So basically in regards to the traineeship contract you are with the service until you complete your qualification. In the meantime they will provide you with hands on learning experience and support you during your traineeship.

If you don't complete a traineeship you can enrol in a course yourself then try to find a job in the meantime.

With a traineeship one of the benefits is that your employer pays for the course (you pay a minimal fee), you're guaranteed work and you get paid to study.

What qualification are you doing?

Also, even if you have a previous degree if it's not related to early childhood then it's no use in the industry so you have to start your qualification from the beginning.

What are your doubts?

Lorina