Working with my child - advice!

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Ashtree22

Working with my child - advice!

Post by Ashtree22 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:43 pm

Hi there,

I recently completed my certificate 3 in Early Childhood and luckily found employment with a great centre down the road from home. My work allowed my daughter (2 years old) to also attend (which is perfect for me!), we both attend 2 days a week (usually in separate rooms). During the morning when we all play together she is hysterical unless I am with her playing with her (Or holding her). We have only been at the centre for 3 weeks or so, but I am stressing out over the separation anxiety and I feel so upset seeing my daughter cry for me. Is there anyone who has been in this situation or has any advice on how to deal with the situation? Luckily my centre is very supportive and says that my daughter comes first and I can settle her whenever I need to...but it makes concentrating on work very hard for me.

Many thanks in advance :kiss:

Lorina

Re: Working with my child - advice!

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:36 am

HI!

It's great to hear that your service is so supportive of you and your child! That's so comforting to know. Remember it's only been 3 weeks since you and your daughter have been at the centre and it will take time for your child to get used to the educators, especially when you are at the centre as well. I think it's important to get into a routine and it's easier when you're in a separate room. So, like any parent during dropoffs, you have to do it quickly. The more you hang around the worse it is for the both of you. So, go to the centre, put the bag away, find an activity for your child to settle with, quick hug say goodbye and leave to your room. Instead of finding an activity, you can hand your daughter over to an educator to assist in your daughter to settle. It should be the same educator who is there for the same days as your daughter.

This may also help:

Separation Anxiety In Children

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Ashtree22

Post by Ashtree22 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:58 pm

Thank you lorina! Great advice :)

Nandy84
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nandy84 » Mon May 30, 2022 7:44 pm

Hello!

I can understand that sometimes separation anxiety a becomes little hard to manage. But the both of you are at the centre for a few weeks, so according to me give some time and it will be alright for both of you. At the same time, I like to share my thought with you in this respect. I think, you also should follow the below rules to make your child get rid of separation anxiety like other parents do. Such as,
Validate your child's fears and anxieties.
Encourage positive self-talk.
Plan to take small steps through the fall.
Stick to routines.
Talk about the positive aspects of going to school and venturing out in new ways.
Model positive behaviours.

And please do not hang around to your child frequently and let the child be handled by the assigned educator. As much as you will hang around, your child will not be able to be comfortable with others.

Hope this will help!

Thanks

Nandita