How To Start Your Own FDC!

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
nemodori
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How To Start Your Own FDC!

Post by nemodori » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:44 pm

Hey! I had contacted Our Village, and they responded back with a positive response!
Gave me some forms to fill out etc. and soon I am going to submit them!! I have changed my plans a little - instead of starting my own FDC, I would want to work as a registered educator via our village first, for few years, I would like to work/earn then slowly start my own! 🤗
I was just wondering if anyone knew FDC wages of each children per hour or each child per day?

nemodori
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nemodori » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Butterflyblue wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:55 pm
You’re very welcome!
Give our village a call they are definitely one of the best schemes in the state and you’re very lucky they’re in your area!
Good luck and let me know how you go :)
I accidentally replied to the post instead of replying you! Do check it out 😃

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:24 pm

Sounds exciting!
Starting your own FDC scheme is a whole other level and needs quite a bit of cash too, I think it’s a good choice to start as an educator first, save up but most importantly get the inside knowledge on FDC for yourself.
Our Village has an awesome program for their educators and kids too, they do an amazing job!

Usually the fee per hour per child sits around $6-$10 including levies, some schemes offer more than $10.
As an educator regardless of your qualification, experience, environment etc I wouldn’t accept anything less than $5 as your remuneration per hour per child at an absolute minimum, $6< per hour per child is ideal.
Outside core hours, casual, public holiday, weekend etc will usually be more
Most FDC educators do have an hourly fee instead of a daily fee. Daily fees can be tricky in FDC so not many schemes offer it as an option.

If you want to know more on fees take a look at care for kids:

https://www.careforkids.com.au/

You can see the average per suburb, sort by different types of care (centre, FDC, OHSC etc) and look at individual profiles of other FDC educators around the country! It’s a great tool to get instant information on the cost of childcare.

If you have any questions at all let me know, happy to help! 😊

Dpjgreen

Post by Dpjgreen » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:27 pm

Hi NorthLight36,

I just about to finish Diploma of ECEC. I really want to open a FDC. I researched and read your posts. I'm not sure if I need a FDC co-ordinator to open the business apart from provider approval, service approval, ABN, CCS approval. Any chance could you please give me more information? I though all FDC need to open under the co-ordinator and need to pay annual fees for support received from the co-ordinator. Thanks in advance.

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:13 am

Hi Dpjgreen,
Do you want to open a family day care service or be a family day care educator?

LilliputLearners

Post by LilliputLearners » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:51 am

Hi there, if you want to care for children in your home as a FDC educator you don’t need any provider /service approvals etc, you only need to register with a local FDc service. When selecting the service you want to register with I suggest u ask what their rating is and make sure they are meeting the NQF as this is a reflection of how much support they will provide you.

If you are wanting to be the actual FDC service provider pls feel free to give me a call for some guidance 0433 546 417

Cheers

Bec90

Post by Bec90 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:16 pm

Hi! I have just read through this thread as I am interested in starting my own FDC in NSW. One question I have before I contact the correct people, I was wondering if you can open one up in an attached granny flat or granny flat on your property? or it has to be in your main residence?
Many thanks!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:22 pm

Bec90 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:16 pm
Hi! I have just read through this thread as I am interested in starting my own FDC in NSW. One question I have before I contact the correct people, I was wondering if you can open one up in an attached granny flat or granny flat on your property? or it has to be in your main residence?
Many thanks!

As long as you have the appropriate room and the facilities then a granny flat should be fine...

:geek:,
Lorina