Bach qualified in OSHC

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Kjeason90@gmail.com

Bach qualified in OSHC

Post by Kjeason90@gmail.com » Wed May 23, 2018 7:00 pm

Hello,

I currently work as a part time educator in OSHC under the childcare services award. I’m on a level 3.2 while I am working towards my early childhood degree.

I will finish my studies in June but will be staying in my position until the end of the year. I can’t work out if my hourly rate will go up once I get that all important piece of paper. Help would be greatly appreciated :-)

Note: I am studying the three year early childhood degree...not the four year Bachelor of education (early childhood).

Lorina

Re: Bach qualified in OSHC

Post by Lorina » Mon May 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Ok, first off do you have any other qualification such as a Cert 3 or a Diploma?

That way I can work out your level.

You mentioned you are a part-time Educator... Even if you have completed your degree, you will not be paid as an ECT unless you either working as the Director of the OOSH Service or when working as an ECT in an LDC setting.

:geek:,
Lorina

Khine

Post by Khine » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:01 am

Hi Lorina,

I am a OSHC manager who is studying Bachelor of Early childhood. I have a diploma of children services. I would appreciate it if I could get some clarification on some of my confusions.

Am I consider to be half way through my degree?
Does my Degree relate directly to my line of work?
Can I claim my self education expenses through tax?
Will my pay rise if I have my degree completed?

I am not sure If I am doing a wrong degree for this field.

Thank you for your time and looking forward for your reply. Have a great weekend.

Best regards,
Khine Lwin

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:40 am

Hi Khine,

Here is some information regarding your degree:

"Taken to be an early childhood teacher

In September 2017, the Education Council agreed to extend regulation 242 of the National Regulations. Under regulation 242, you are ‘taken to be an early childhood teacher’ until 31 December 2019 if you:

are enrolled in an approved early childhood teaching qualification, and
give the approved provider documentary evidence from the course provider that you:
have started the course, and
are making satisfactory progress towards completing the course, and
are meeting the requirements for maintaining the enrolment, and
hold an approved diploma level educator qualification, or have completed at least 50 per cent of the course.

Regulation 242 does not apply in Victoria after 31 December 2017 or if you are working in a centre-based service educating and caring for 30 or more children preschool age or under in NSW.

This transition provision will end on 31 December 2019. From 1 January 2020, an educator will need to have completed their ECT qualification to be considered a qualified ECT. However, educators ‘actively working towards’ an approved ECT qualification may still be counted as a certificate III or diploma level educator, depending on how much of the approved ECT qualification they have completed".

Reference:Actively Working Towards A Qualifcation

In regards, if your degree is directly in line with your work it depends on what age the degree studies up to. For example 0-5 years or 0 - 8 years or 0-12 years. It depends on what type of degree you are doing.

As for tax, the following may help:

Self Education Expenses

In regards to the pay rise, you may be eligible, how many children is your service licensed to? Do you know your current level?

:geek:,
Lorina