Pay Rate & Classification for Working Towards Diploma

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
SakuraChelle
Participator
Participator

Pay Rate & Classification for Working Towards Diploma

Post by SakuraChelle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:26 pm

I don't know if anyone can help me, but I was curious on what I should actually be classed as & being paid as.

I've been working at a service for almost 5 years, & I've had my cert 3 for 7 years. I've now been completing my diploma which I started working on in December 2017. I'm now 85% complete (well that's how much has been marked, I've done & submitted more than that). But the entire time I've just been classed as a cert 3 qualified educator. The only change which happened was a pay increase everyone got given over the last few weeks which had nothing to do with my qualifications.

I've also been doing the open & close shifts for over a year now, always with a diploma or higher qualified person. I know this year my boss has had some trouble with her diploma qualified staff who aren't very flexible for when they can work & the roster gets a little all over the place on the week I close because of that just to ensure I've got a qualified person with me. I was wondering if that was necessary if I'm 85% complete the qualification? I mean really its just for a couple of months, as I've almost finished, but if I can be classed as a diploma at least for doing that shift I'm sure it'd be a lot of help. One concern my boss had was that she didn't think I could be classed as one since we've already got about 6 permanent staff members who are diploma+ qualified (they all just either can't do it all the time, or are on the opposite shift to me). No idea if anyone can shed any light on that one

Thank you for any help or advice provided :thumbup:

Lorina

Re: Pay Rate & Classification for Working Towards Diploma

Post by Lorina » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:47 pm

It’s up to your Director to decide whether or not to class you as a Diploma due to ratio purposes. ACECQA, has a exemption for Educators “actively working towards a qualification” where you can be classed as a Diploma qualified Educator for ratio purposes. So, for this purpose you may be an exception.

Here is some more information on this:

Actively Working Towards A Qualification

As for pay, to be paid as a Diploma you need to complete your Diploma qualification, unless your responsibilities include that of a Diploma qualified Educator...

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

SakuraChelle
Participator
Participator

Post by SakuraChelle » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Thank you for clarifying, I think you've helped me out :). From what I can tell I should be able to class as 'actively working towards', but it depends on if I've found the right regulation which is saying there needs to be someone who holds a diploma on the open/close shift.

Wattle_girl

Post by Wattle_girl » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:03 pm

Hi there
Im studying diploma. I am room leader in the nursery. Getting paid a cert 3 room leader rate. I open and close as the diploma person but any qualification can be a ‘responsible person’. Im in NSW.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:45 pm

Wattle_girl wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:03 pm
Hi there
Im studying diploma. I am room leader in the nursery. Getting paid a cert 3 room leader rate. I open and close as the diploma person but any qualification can be a ‘responsible person’. Im in NSW.

If you are currently the room leader in the nursery with a cert 3 qualification, you should be on Level 4A.

Level 4A is for a cert 3 Educator that has not completed their Diploma, however, has the responsibilities e.g. running the room as a room leader.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina